We are only a week away from Memorial Day, are you ready? If not, I have something for you today that will surely help! A few of us have teamed up with Celebrations.com to bring you a Virtual Potluck, with a complete Memorial Day menu. Be sure to check out the other great recipes at the end of this post.
I decided to bring a side dish to the party. I wanted something light, but full of flavor, and perfect for this start of summer day. I wasn’t in the mood for a lettuce salad or even a pasta salad. Quinoa sounded like a fun alternative. I have been trying new things with Quinoa lately, and I think this is my favorite so far. It is great hot or cold, so it is perfect for a potluck.
I sauteed zucchini for this, but you could use just about any veggie you like. For more color, and another veggie I also threw in some frozen corn, I thawed it first 🙂 I would have loved some diced avocado in here as well, but I didn’t have any on hand. The lime and cilantro vinaigrette was the perfect thing to tie it all together!
Check out what everyone else brought to the party!
Celebrations – Buffalo Chicken Dip
Une Gamine dans la Cuisines – White Out Cake
Elle’s New England Kitchen – Boneless Pork Ribs with Woodchuck Summer Cider Blueberry Sauce
Smells Like Home – Lemon Cupcakes with Raspberry Curd Filling and Lemon Buttercream
Apron & Sneakers – Speck Skewers with Herb Mayonnaise and Grilled Mediterranean Aubergine Bundles with Provola
Hungry Happenings – Patriotic Biscuits
In Katrina’s Kitchen – Picnic Table Cloth Cookies
Sauteed Zucchini and corn mixed with Quinoa, and topped with a cilantro lime vinaigrette
5 minPrep Time
15 minCook Time
20 minTotal Time
- 1 cup Quinoa
- 1 1/4 cup chicken stock (or water)
- 1 clove garlic, grated
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1 lime, juiced
- 1 Tbls cilantro, chopped
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 zucchini, chopped
- 1 cup frozen corn, thawed
- Cook Qunioa according to the package directions. I use chicken stock instead of water to give a little more flavor. Saute or grill zucchini.
- In a small bowl mix together garlic, salt, pepper, lime juice and cilantro. Stir in the olive oil until well combined.
- In a large bowl mix together the cooked quinoa, zucchini, and corn. Pour dressing over quinoa, and stir to coat. Serve immediately or store in fridge.