Happy New Year! It is 2012 and I am another year older. I was very happy that the 1st fell on a Sunday this year. Usually my birthday is spent with the guys in my life glued to the TV watching college bowl game, after college bowl game. Instead, this year we got to go up into the mountains and enjoy a nice hike. It was a beautiful day up there!
After more than a week of eating cookies, and candy, and way too much food I am ready to cut back! I am looking forward to healthy meals and vegetables. This chili is a perfect low calorie dinner. It is hearty, and comforting, but still light and delicious. I found a version of this years ago in a Betty Crocker flier, but have adapted it to make it healthier. It comes together in minutes, which means you can have chili on Wednesday!
A favorite Mexican dish turned into a warm and comforting chili
5 minPrep Time
20 minCook Time
25 minTotal Time
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into bit sized pieces
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1 (10 oz) can diced tomatoes with green chilies (Rotel)
- 1 (14 oz) can enchilada sauce (whatever heat level you like)
- 1 small can tomato sauce
- Cheddar Cheese, shredded (optional garnish)
- Chili Cheese Fritos (optional garnish)
- In a large pan brown chicken and onions together, until chicken is no longer pink. Add in frozen corn. Stir and cook for 2 minutes. Pour in tomatoes, enchilada sauce, and tomato sauce. Bring to boil. Cover and reduce heat. Let simmer for 15 minutes.
- To serve, top with cheddar cheese and crushed fritos.