Chocolate Toffee Bars – crispy toffee flavored bars topped with chocolate and lots of bits of toffee. Just 6 ingredients, and so easy to make!
There are a few flavors that I am obsessed with during the holidays. Anything Peppermint; I put together 19 of my favorite peppermint recipes all in one place. Chocolate and peanut butter is a favorite all year round, but for the holidays we have Reese’s Fudge and Peanut Butter Chocolate Balls. And then Toffee is another. I have been making these Heath Toffee Bars for years.
And you can’t forget about Chocolate Saltine Toffee. That is a must, and so easy. So why not add more toffee recipes to my holiday baking, because I know we will love them!
These Chocolate Toffee Bars are so darn easy to make. You mix together 5 ingredients and then bake until crispy. This layer is kind of a cross between shortbread and toffee. So buttery and delicious. Then when it is hot out of the oven you sprinkle on the chocolate! What is toffee without chocolate, right?
Once the chocolate is soft and melty, you spread it evenly over the bars. Now, the topping. This is up to you. I added toffee bits to mine because I wanted lots of toffee crunch and flavor. But lots of people like pecans on their toffee, so you could sprinkle on pecans. You could do both! Or you could just do festive sprinkles. Whatever you like, go for it.
The hardest part is that you have to wait for the chocolate to set before you can slice them into bars. It is like hours of torture. You can put them in the fridge to harden if you want, just let them come back closer to room temperature to slice, or you will get cracks and not pretty bars.
I found this recipe for Toffee Bars from Glitter and Goulash while browsing Pinterest one day, and knew I had to make it immediately. I made very tiny changes from her recipe. Trust me, you want to add these chocolate toffee bars to your baking list this year. It is not too late!
- 1 cup butter , softened
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 cup flour
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 1 (12 oz) bag milk chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup toffee bits
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Beat together butter, brown sugar, and egg yolk until light and fluffy. Add in flour and vanilla. Mix until well combined.
- Press into a greased half sheet pan or a 13x9 inch baking dish.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes until the edges are golden.
- Sprinkle chocolate chips evenly over the bars.
- Let sit for 5-7 minutes (or return to the oven for 2-3 minutes) until the chocolate is shiny. Gently spread melted chocolate into an even layer.
- Sprinkle with toffee bits
- Let the chocolate set before slicing into bars