Is your garden full of zucchini? Or are your neighbors dropping zucchini off at your house every other day? This is the time of year that zucchini plants are going crazy, and people are searching for what to do with them! Well, did you know that zucchini goes amazingly well with chocolate? I know, I was skeptical as well, but trust me. Next week I have a healthy(er) fudgy brownie recipe coming that uses zucchini. You would never know 🙂
I have made zucchini muffins before, so this time I wanted to try something a little different. My son will eat pretty much anything if I put it in a muffin. Most of the time I just wait until he likes it, and then tell him what is in there. That was the case with these. He knows he likes zucchini in muffins, but I wanted to see if he could tell that these were not just chocolate muffins. And you know whatt? He had no clue! Even after I told him, he didn’t believe me.
There isn’t a ton of zucchini in there, so if you want to play around and add a little more, go for it! I used white whole wheat flour and Greek yogurt to try to make them a little better for you. Muffins don’t have a lot of protein in them, so I try to sneak in Greek yogurt whenever I can. The leftovers freeze perfectly in a freezer safe bag. You can just take a couple out in the morning and microwave for a quick breakfast. Or throw a frozen one in your kids lunch box, and it will be thawed and they have a great lunch time treat!
Moist and tender chocolate muffins filled with zucchini and chocolate chips
10 minPrep Time
20 minCook Time
30 minTotal Time
- 1 3/4 cup white whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1/2 cup vanilla Greek yogurt (I used Chobani)
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 egg
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 3 Tbls cocoa powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 cup zucchini, grated and squeezed to remove the moisture
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips, plus a few extra for the top
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Prepare a 12 cup muffin tin with liners or nonstick spray.
- In a large bowl mix together sugar, brown sugar, and canola oil. Mix until well combined, about 45 seconds. Add Greek yogurt, milk, vanilla, and egg. Mix until just combined.
- In a separate bowl whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, cocoa powder and salt. Gradually add flour mixture to yogurt mixture. Mix until just combined.
- Fold in zucchini and chocolate chips.
- Fill muffin cups about 3/4 of the way full. Sprinkle a few extra chocolate chips on the top before baking, if desired. Bake for 15-18 minutes, or until a tester comes out mostly clean.
- Remove from oven and let cool for a few minutes, before removing to a wire rack to cool completely.
Adapted from Life Made Simple