Crock Pot Potato Soup – Creamy loaded potato soup that is made in the crock pot. Perfect comfort food for a cold winter night.
We got snow again. It has been a great week of weather in the upper 30’s and 40’s. The snow we got on Christmas was finally melting, and our neighborhood streets were almost clear. But we got snow again. I realize it is January, but the foothills of Colorado have a very mild winter and don’t get that much snow. And when we do, it is usually gone a week later. So after 4 years here, I am kind of spoiled. My husband tells me we are supposed to have a very snowy winter this year because of El Nino. Apparently he is right, and let’s just say I am not excited about it.
To combat the snow, I am going to drown myself in a bowl of super comforting loaded potato soup. It is super creamy, comforting, and just what the weather calls for. Plus all the work is done in the slow cooker, so how easy can it be! Recently I found myself it a large bag of potatoes in my pantry that were going to go bad before we could make our way through all of them. That is when I decided I would make crock pot potato soup. I new my husband would be a huge fan, but I wasn’t sure what my 10 year old would think. Turns out adding bacon and cheese to anything will win over a 10 year old boy.
The potatoes for crock pot potato soup cook in liquid in the slow cooker for few hours. Once they are soft you mix in the cheese and cream and you are ready to eat. Just top with all your favorite toppings. Bacon, more cheese, green onions, sour cream….whatever you like! You can ever reheat on the crock pot later for another easy dinner. Or freeze the leftovers, so you have another comforting dinner waiting for you later in the winter.
Crock Pot Potato Soup - Creamy loaded potato soup that is made in the crock pot. Perfect comfort food for a cold winter night
4 minPrep Time
6 hrCook Time
6 hr, 4 Total Time
- 5 pounds russet potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 head roasted garlic, minced
- 8 cups chicken stock
- 3 tsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 8 oz bacon, cooked and crumbled
- green onions
- cheddar cheese, shredded
- Add potatoes, onion, and garlic to the crock pot. Pour chicken stock over potatoes. Cover and cook for 5-6 hours on low.
- Once the potatoes are fork tender, use a potato masher to mash until your desired consistency. You can use a stick blender if you want it smooth.
- Stir in heavy cream and stir until smooth. Cook for 30 more minutes.
- When ready to serve to with cheese, crumbled bacon, and green onions.
Want even more soup recipes for winter? (click on the picture to get the recipe)