I think the whole country is ready for spring. We are actually having spring here, but I am still ready for warmer temps. To be able to go outside without a jacket one would be nice. I can’t wait to be able to open up the windows and let some fresh air in. We are in for a nice weekend here, so I am excited to maybe get outside and enjoy the weather. One thing I am becoming a little obsessed with this spring is citrus. If you know me, you know this is not normal, but I am loving it!
I don’t think I have ever made a lemon bar before. I made Lemonade Pie a couple years ago, but that is the only lemon dessert I have ever made. I am a chocoholic to the core. Don’t worry, chocolate will still take up prime real estate on this blog, but I am starting to see the draw of lemon desserts. Sweet, tangy, tart, and just plain good! My husband is not a fan of chocolate, so he might like this new trend.
My husband was having a team outing at work, a couple weeks ago. They were heading up to the mountains to go snowshowing for the afternoon. I took the opportunity to bake these bars, and send them along. They needed fuel for the hike, right? They disappeared very quickly. Lemon is just perfect for spring; these bars would even make a great dessert to have for Easter. So even if you are as obsessed with chocolate as I am, you really do need to make these. I could not stay away from them!
A buttery crust topped with a bright, sweet, tangy and tart lemon filling.
10 minPrep Time
50 minCook Time
1 hrTotal Time
- 2 cups flour, sifted
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1 cup butter, cut into cubs
- 4 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup fresh squeezed lemon juice
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- Preheat oven to 350 degree. Spray a 13x9 inch pan with non-stick spray. Set aside.
- In a large bowl combine flour, powdered sugar, and butter. Using your hands, mix until it comes together as a dough. Press into the prepared baking dish.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, until lightly golden brown. Remove from the oven.
- Meanwhile in an electric mixer bowl mix together sugar, eggs, and lemon juice. Mix on medium speed for 4-5 minutes; until light, fluffy, and the sugar is completely dissolved. Add flour and baking powder, and mix until well incorporated.
- Pour over the baked crust. Return to the oven and bake for 22-25 minutes.
- Remove from the oven, and cool completely before dusting with powdered sugar, and serving.
If you want the bars to be a little more tart add 1 tsp of lemon zest
Adapted from [Food.com