Meatball Sub Egg Rolls – all the flavors of your favorite meatball sub sandwich in a crispy egg roll. Serve with marinara sauce for dipping and you have the perfect appetizer or snack!
Fall is in the air around here. It was full on jeans and sweater weather one day this week. I am not ready for winter that is for sure. But one good thing that comes with fall is food! Weekends spent watching football means awesome snacks and great food. I think my guys would watch football from Thursday night to Monday night if I let them. But I am the mean one who limits it to just a couple games that we actually care about. But I do add good food to the mix, so I am not all that bad.
I am excited to partner with Crisco this year. I grew up always having Crisco shortening in the house. It is the reason my mom’s chocolate chip cookies were so much thicker and softer than all of my friends mom’s cookies. Crisco now has a huge variety of products; cooking oils, sprays, olive oils, coconut oil and more. Seriously something for every cook out there.
For these meatball sub egg rolls I used the pure vegetable oil to fry them in. You can get the oil hot enough without burning it, so you get a super crispy, not greasy egg roll. And what is a good egg roll without a lot of crunch?
My 11 year old came to me about 6 months ago with a recipe idea. He said he wanted to put a meatball sandwich into an egg roll. I thought the idea was genius, but never got around to making it. After him reminding me about it a few times, I finally got to work. In my head I thought it was going to be harder than it really was. You can use store bought meatballs and these egg rolls come together very quickly. For homemade meatballs you can try our favorite Italian Meatballs (just use beef)!
To make the egg rolls easy to roll and eat, I cut each meatball in quarters. Nothing is worse than taking a bite of something hot, and burning your mouth, or having it drip on you chin and you burn your face too. So no. We went with cutting them into smaller pieces. Rolling was easy, and there were no problems when it came time to eat them either! Expectedly they all disappeared quickly!
Serve your super crispy egg rolls with a side of marinara sauce for dipping and you have the classic meatball sub in the form of an egg roll! Perfect for those game day parties or even for dinner. You can even make a huge batch of these and store them in the freezer. Just fry them like the recipe says, and then freeze them on a tray. Once they are frozen, place in a freezer safe bag. Just bake at 425 for 15-20 minutes to reheat!
Meatball Sub Egg Rolls - all the flavors of your favorite meatball sub sandwich in a crispy egg roll. Serve with marinara sauce for dipping and you have the perfect appetizer or snack!
20 minPrep Time
20 minCook Time
40 minTotal Time
- 12 egg roll wrappers
- 36 meatballs (1 ounce each), cut into 4 pieces
- 2 cups marinara sauce
- 2 cups Mozzarella cheese, shredded
- Crisco Vegetable Oil, 3 inches in bottom of pot
- Mix together meatballs with 1/2 cup marinara sauce.
- Fill a small bowl with water.
- Place an egg roll wrapper on the counter, in a diamond shape with a point towards you. Lightly brush water along the edges of the wrapper.
- Place about 2 Tbls of cheese in the center of the egg roll wrapper. Lay about 6 meatball pieces across the cheese.
- Fold the point next to you over the meatballs. Tuck in both sides, and roll tightly to close. The water will help seal the edges.
- Repeat with remaining ingredients.
- Heat about 3 inches in the bottom of a heavy pot, until it reaches 360 degrees.
- Add 4 egg rolls to the pan, and cook for 5-7 minutes until golden, turning occassionally.
- Remove to a paper towel lined plate to drain.
- Serve with remaining marinara sauce for dipping.
More game day snacks you might like:
**I am a Crisco Preferred Partner and was compensated for my time to create this recipe. All thoughts and opinions are 100% my own.