Open Faced Croque Monsieur – a traditional croque monsieur sandwich, with sliced ham, Gruyere cheese, mustard and a creamy sauce served open face on soft and tender old fashioned butter bread.
The holidays are over and it is time to get back to real life. But real life doesn’t have to just be salads, boring, and no fun. It is still cold out, and I still want comfort food. Food that brings me back and makes me feel like I am home. And today we are doing just that with these open faced croque monsieur sandwiches.
A croque monsieur is traditionally a ham and cheese sandwich with mustard that is broiled or fried and brushed with a bechamel sauce. Sounds like pure comfort food to me! But we are putting just a tiny twist on it and making it extra delicious!
This post is sponsored by Martin’s
I am excited to work with Martin’s on this recipe. Martin’s Old Fashioned Real Butter Bread is exactly what this croque monsieur needs. It is super soft and tender. Plus it combines the nostalgia of classic butter bread with the high quality ingredients we have come to expect today. It is made with 100% real butter, without any other oils. It uses high protein wheat flour, nonfat milk, real cane sugar, and other high-quality ingredients. All the flavors you remember as a kid, but something you feel good about feeding your family.
Martin’s has been baking bread for over 60 years. It has been a staple in so many households for years. Coming together over bread and food, is what creates memories and brings people together. These open faced croque monsieur sandwiches will bring the whole family around the table, and create memories together. The breads gets slightly crispy with the melty cheese, tangy creamy sauce, and the salty ham is just a magical combination!
These sandwiches are super easy to put together. You can get the kids and family in the kitchen to help! Baking in the oven melts the cheese and crisps up the bread. A great weeknight dinner that gets the family together.
Open Faced Croque Monsieur - traditional croque monsieur sandwich, with sliced ham, Gruyere cheese, mustard and a creamy sauce served open face on soft and tender old fashioned butter bread.
5 minPrep Time
20 minCook Time
25 minTotal Time
- 4 slices Martin's Old Fashioned Real Butter Bread
- 8-12 slices good quality ham
- 4 slices Gruyere cheese
- 2 Tbls butter
- 2 Tbls flour
- 1 cup milk
- 2 tsp dijon mustard
- 1/8 dish ground nutmeg
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees
- In a saucepan melt butter over medium heat. Whisk in flour and cook for 3-5 minutes, until golden and bubbly. Whisk in milk until smooth. Add mustard, nutmeg, salt and pepper. Continue to whisk and bring to a boil. Cook for 2-3 minutes until sauce thickens.
- Place 4 slices of bread in a baking dish. Spread about 2 Tbls sauce over each slice of bread. Top each slice with 2-3 slices of ham, a cheese, and pour remaining sauce over each.
- Bake for 10 minutes, until cheese is melted and bread is starting to get crispy.
**This post is sponsored by Martin’s. I was compensated for my time to create this recipe. All thoughts and opinions are 100% my own.