I can’t not believe that it is May, and the summer is almost here. My son counted the days of school left the other day, and there were only 18 left! As luck would have it, I signed him up for 2 day camps this summer, and they happen to be during the first two weeks of summer break. So at least I have a little more time to get everything I wanted to accomplish done, before he is home full time. But still, I am really not ready to have a 4th grader. I just want to stop time, and keep him this age for a little longer!
Now that we are coming up to summer; light, quick, and easy dinners and side dishes are what everyone is looking for. Well, I found a new favorite. I think I have made this a minimum of 4 times in the last 2 weeks. I have done it for lunch, and just a quick dinner when we are on the go. I have used green beans as well as asparagus, and loved them both. A fresh squeeze of lemon is also nice to brighten up the flavor, and give it a little freshness. In the time it takes to cook the pasta, you are ready. Just stir it all together and you get to eat!
I have been using my Spinach Pesto for this, but feel free to use any kind you have or like. Because I put walnuts in my pesto, I have also used walnut in the pasta. But almonds and green beans are a classic combination, so feel free to mix it up. Serve as a quick side dish, or maybe add some more protein (chicken or shrimp) for a main dish. This would even be great to bring on a picnic, to a barbeque, or even a potluck. There isn’t any mayo or anything like that in it, so you don’t have to worry about it going bad.
- 6 oz Mini Bowtie Pasta , uncooked
- 6 oz fresh green beans , cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1/4 cup toasted walnuts , chopped
- 2 Tbls pesto (Spinach pesto recipe)
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Parmesan Cheese , shredded (optional)
- Cook pasta according to the package directions.
- During the last 2 minutes of the pasta cooking, add the green beans.
- Drain and pour into a bowl.
- Stir in pesto until evenly coated. Sprinkle salt and walnuts, mix well.
- Serve topped with Parmesan cheese, if desired