Did everyone have a good weekend? We got tons of snow on Sunday with lots of wind. So most of our weekend was spent relaxing inside. After a few busy weeks in a row, it was nice to just relax. Yesterday, I shared with you a copycat version of Olive Garden’s Chicken Gnocchi Soup. You may have noticed some fluffy bread sticks in the pictures. Don’t worry, I didn’t leave you hanging. Today is bread sticks!
I am one of those people that can’t have soup without bread. It doesn’t really matter what kind of soup it is, I need bread to dip in it. Because I love the bread sticks at Olive Garden with the soup, I decided to do the same at home. These bread sticks are super soft, thick, and buttery. This is not a copycat recipe, but I think they could hold their own in a competition.
I have been making more and more fresh bread lately. I actually enjoy kneading the dough, it seems to be a great stress reliever. Plus the smells is amazing, and there is nothing like breaking into a fresh loaf of bread straight out of the oven. These bread sticks were no different. They have minimal rising time, so they were great to start right after school and have for dinner. If you have a fear of yeast, this is a pretty easy recipe to start with.
- 1½ cups warm water (110 degrees)
- 2¼ tsp dry yeast (1 package)
- 2 Tbls sugar
- 4¼ cups bread flour
- 1 Tbls salt
- 2 Tbls melted butter
- ¼ cup butter, melted
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp salt
- In a small bowl combine the sugar, yeast and warm water. Let stand for 5 minutes, or until foamy.
- In a large bowl whisk together the flour and salt. Add the yeast mixture and butter. Mix until it starts to come together in a ball. Knead for 5 minutes.
- Form the dough into a square on your counter. Divide the dough into 12 equal pieces. Roll into a bread stick.
- Place on a lined baking sheet. Cover and let rise for about 45 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Bake bread sticks for 12 minutes, or until lightly browned.
- Mix together the butter, garlic powder and salt. Brush over the cooked bread sticks.
- Allow to cool slightly before serving