Did everyone have a good Christmas? We did. It was just the 3 of us, so it was a little quiet, which was kind of nice. Santa came and spoiled our 7 year old, we had a great ham dinner, and it even snowed over night so we could have a White Christmas. Couldn’t as for a much better day. Oh, plus I got a blender!! Bring on the smoothies.
Now that Christmas is over, it is time to get ready for New Years. What do you guys do for New Years? We often times go out for dinner on New Years Eve, and then watch football all day on the 1st. The 1st is also my birthday, so the boys are forced to take a break for cake and presents. This year my parents will be here, and I think we are going to have snacks and appetizers for grazing through the day. So that is what I am sharing this week.
Today is stuffed mushrooms, one of my favorites. I have been making this version for years. My husband doesn’t like mushrooms, so I don’t get them often, but when I do I eat more than my fair share. I fill them with a sausage mixture, but you could change that to crab pretty easily if you wanted to get fancy :) These are super easy to throw together. You can make them a few hours ahead of time, and then just heat them up for a party. Plus they reheat fairly well too.
- 1 pound white button mushrooms, cleaned and stems removed
- 6 oz Italian sausage
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- ½ cup Mozzarella cheese
- ¼ cup Italian seasoned bread crumbs
- ¼ cup panko bread crumbs
- Olive oil for drizzling
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Additional Mozzarella cheese, if desired.
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Brown the sausage in the large skillet. Add the garlic, and cook until the sausage is no longer pink. Drain the fat away. In a bowl mix together the sausage, bread crumbs, panko bread crumbs, and the cheese. Stir until everything is well combined.
- Line up the mushrooms on a baking sheet. Drizzle a little olive oil over all of the mushrooms. Sprinkle with a little salt and pepper. Fill each mushroom with about 1 tsp filling, depending on the size. Sprinkle with additional cheese, if desired. Bake for 5-10 minutes, until the cheese is melted. Best served warm.