Hi guys! My name is Carrie and I’m the Bakeaholic Mama. Master mama and a wannabe baker. With three busy kids and husband it is important to me that I feed them well. I am a firm believer that you can make dinner from scratch in 30 minutes or less that will taste great, you’ll have fun making it and eating it too!
My kids love anything wrapped in pastry. Phyllo dough, puff pastry, pie crust. If it’s flaky and buttery I can get almost anything stuffed inside and they will gobble it up. Savory pies or tarts are a popular dinner in our house!
Today I made my favorite pie crust, I cut the dough into 4 inch circles, filled the centers with a basic spinach artichoke dip. It’s cheesy pie goodness at it’s best!
- 1 batch uncooked double pie crust
- 2 tbs flour
- 2 tbs butter
- ½ cup milk
- ¼ tsp ground nutmeg
- ½ cup shredded cheddar cheese
- ¼ cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- ½ cup frozen artichoke hearts thawed and chopped
- ½ cup frozen chopped spinach thawed and drained
- 2-3 additional tbs of grated Parmesan cheese for sprinkling
- Preheat oven to 350.
- To start your filling, in a medium sauce pan over medium/high heat. Melt butter and whisk in flour until a thick paste forms. Whisk in milk, nutmeg and shredded cheese. Once cheese has melted remove from heat and mix in spinach and artichokes.
- Roll pie crust dough out on a lightly floured surface until it’s about ¼-1/8 of an inch thick. Using a 4 inch round cutter or bowl cut circles out of your dough. I cut about 20 circles out of mine.
- In the center of each circle place about 2-3 tbs of your filling . Fold sides over and crimp sides together with a floured fork.
- Place on a non stick baking sheet about 1 inch apart.
- Bake for 15 minutes remove from oven and sprinkle grated Parmesan cheese over the tops return to oven and continue to bake for another 10-15 minutes or until golden brown.
- Serve hot.
Thank you so much for the great recipe Carrie!