I am relatively new to the world of yogurt and granola. Up until 3 years ago I didn’t eat yogurt of any kind, and had never even tried granola. I tried a couple times in college to like yogurt, but just couldn’t do it. I am not sure if it was a texture thing or I wasn’t buying a good brand or what. But 3 years ago I decided to try one of those 7 day diets from Self magazine. One of the days for breakfast you were supposed to have fruit with yogurt and granola. So I bought all of the stuff thinking I would just have to suffer through, but I liked it. I mean, I really liked it. It became a staple for quite a while.
I am not sure why, but I have kind of forgotten about this breakfast until recently. When my in-laws were here a couple weeks ago my MIL bought a box of French Vanilla Almond Granola. I had a handful, and the vanilla flavor was really good. I knew it was finally time I tried to make my own granola, and a vanilla flavored one at that.
California Walnuts had sent me a bag of walnuts to try, and I thought the vanilla and walnuts would go really well together. My husband loves to snack on walnuts, so I kind of had to sneak them away from him while he was at work. This granola has totally renewed my interested in yogurt for breakfast! I have had it for the last 4 mornings in a row. My 7 year old has even requested a bowl of granola (plain, no milk or yogurt) for with his breakfast the last couple of mornings.
This recipe does make a lot. I ended up freezing half of it because I wasn’t sure how long it would last in the pantry. I think it could safely last 2 weeks, but with just 3 of us, I wasn’t sure how quickly we would go through it. I am really amazed at how much better the homemade granola is over the store bought. It is so easy and cheap to make too! I am pretty sure I won’t be buying a box ever again.
- 3 cups Old-Fashioned Oats
- 1 cup Rice Krispies
- 1 cup Walnuts, chopped
- ⅓ cup brown sugar
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ⅓ cup coconut oil (or canola oil)
- ¼ cup honey
- 1 Tbls sugar
- 1 Tbls + 2 tsp vanilla
- ½ cup dried cranberries
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees. Line or spray a large baking sheet (with edges) with non stick spray.
- In a large bowl mix together the oats, Rice Krispies, walnuts, brown sugar, salt and cinnamon. In a small sauce pan combine the honey, coconut oil, and sugar. Over medium heat bring the mixture to a simmer. Remove from heat and add the vanilla. Pour oil mixture over the oats. Mix until everything is well coated.
- Spread onto the prepared baking sheet. Bake for 30 minutes, stirring every 10 minutes. Granola should be a light golden brown color. Remove from the oven, and mix in the dried cranberries. Allow the granola to cool completely before removing from the pan. Store in an air-tight container.