We are only a week away from Memorial Day, are you ready? If not, I have something for you today that will surely help! A few of us have teamed up with Celebrations.com to bring you a Virtual Potluck, with a complete Memorial Day menu. Be sure to check out the other great recipes at the end of this post.
I decided to bring a side dish to the party. I wanted something light, but full of flavor, and perfect for this start of summer day. I wasn’t in the mood for a lettuce salad or even a pasta salad. Quinoa sounded like a fun alternative. I have been trying new things with Quinoa lately, and I think this is my favorite so far. It is great hot or cold, so it is perfect for a potluck.
I sauteed zucchini for this, but you could use just about any veggie you like. For more color, and another veggie I also threw in some frozen corn, I thawed it first 🙂 I would have loved some diced avocado in here as well, but I didn’t have any on hand. The lime and cilantro vinaigrette was the perfect thing to tie it all together!
Check out what everyone else brought to the party!
Celebrations – Buffalo Chicken Dip
Une Gamine dans la Cuisines – White Out Cake
Elle’s New England Kitchen – Boneless Pork Ribs with Woodchuck Summer Cider Blueberry Sauce
Smells Like Home – Lemon Cupcakes with Raspberry Curd Filling and Lemon Buttercream
Apron & Sneakers – Speck Skewers with Herb Mayonnaise and Grilled Mediterranean Aubergine Bundles with Provola
Hungry Happenings – Patriotic Biscuits
In Katrina’s Kitchen – Picnic Table Cloth Cookies
- 1 cup Quinoa
- 1 1/4 cup chicken stock (or water)
- 1 clove garlic , grated
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1 lime , juiced
- 1 Tbls cilantro , chopped
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 zucchini , chopped
- 1 cup frozen corn , thawed
- Cook Qunioa according to the package directions. I use chicken stock instead of water to give a little more flavor. Saute or grill zucchini.
- In a small bowl mix together garlic, salt, pepper, lime juice and cilantro. Stir in the olive oil until well combined.
- In a large bowl mix together the cooked quinoa, zucchini, and corn. Pour dressing over quinoa, and stir to coat. Serve immediately or store in fridge.
Amount Per ServingCalories 169 Total Fat 11g Saturated Fat 2g Trans Fat 0g Unsaturated Fat 9g Cholesterol 2mg Sodium 271mg Carbohydrates 16g Net Carbohydrates 0g Fiber 2g Sugar 3g Sugar Alcohols 0g Protein 4g