Bacon Cheese Straws – A great appetizer for any get together. Fill puff pastry with bacon and cheese, twist, and bake until you get crispy, cheesy, bacony goodness!
I love trying out new cookbooks. I remember even as a kid always thumbing through my moms cooking magazines and books. She subscribed to quite a few different monthly magazines that would come, and each month I would go through and tell her which ones she should make. It isn’t that much of a surprise that I am writing this blog, all about trying new recipes. Recently I was sent Back Around the Table: An “In the Kitchen with David” Cookbook. David Venable is the host of QVC’s popular cooking and dining show “In the Kitchen with David®.
My first impression of Back Around the Table: An “In the Kitchen with David” Cookbook, was this book is stunning. There are tons of bright and gorgeous pictures that accompany the recipes. I immediately curled up on the couch and started reading the book. There are so many great recipes, I had a really hard time deciding what to make first. The Warm Bacon-Cheese Dip was really high up on my list, but I didn’t want it to go to waste. I think I will wait and make it on Thanksgiving, when plenty of people will be around to enjoy it.
This book covers all of your entertaining needs, as well as every day dinners (like a 15 minute creamy macaroni and cheese recipe). Stunning appetizers, desserts, great twists on cocktails, and pure comfort food are all covered. One of the things I really liked after looking through the recipes, is David uses every day ingredients. He shares his moms recipes that uses cream of chicken soup, but also has recipes like Chicken Quinoa Soup and Lobster Dip Crostini.
- 1 pound bacon
- 1 (8 oz) package cream cheese, softened
- 1 1/4 cups mozzarella cheese , shredded
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp milk
- 1 package frozen puff pastry , thawed according to the directions
- Flour for rolling
- Cook bacon until crisp. Cool and crumble.
- In a bowl combine crumbled bacon, cream cheese, mozzarella cheese, Parmesan cheese, garlic powder and black pepper. Use a fork mix well.
- Lightly sprinkle flour over the counter. Lay out the puff pastry sheets and roll to about 1/16 inch thick. Spread cheese mixture over half of the puff pastry. Fold the other side over the cheese mixture.
- Using a rolling pin to roll the two sides together, so the cheese mixture is incorporated with the puff pastry.
- Using a sharp knife or a pizza cutter cut into 1/2 inch strips.
- Twist, pressing the ends together and lay on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- In a bowl mix together egg and milk. Brush over each twist.
- Freeze for 1 hour before baking (do not skip, it helps them stay twisted while baking)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Bake for 13 to 16 minute until light golden brown. Cool for 5 minutes before serving.