Boston Cream Pie Icebox Cake – all the flavors of the infamous Boston Cream Pie in a quick and easy icebox cake. Great for those hot days when you don’t want to turn on the oven, or when you just don’t want to do all the work!
Sometimes you are craving a classic dessert like Boston Cream Pie, but don’t really want to go through the full process of baking a cake. That is where an icebox cake comes in. They are great to make in the summer when you don’t want to turn on the oven, or even when you are just feeling a little lazy.
Icebox cake recipes are super easy to make, just layering ingredients and letting it set up in the fridge before you serve. It sets up similar to a cake and makes a delicious dessert for any occasion. It serves quite a few people, so it is great for get togethers.
What is an Icebox Cake
Traditionally an icebox cake uses graham crackers with pudding or whipped cream that is staked in layers. It sets up in the fridge for a couple hours and the crackers get soft. When you slice into it, it is similar to the texture of a traditional cake. It almost tastes like a vanilla cake, but it is actually graham crackers. Key Lime Icebox Cake is a great citrus version.
You can really use anything to make an icebox cake. I have used Oreo’s, chocolate chip cookies, shortbread cookies and more. Pair chocolate pudding, whipped cream, and mint Oreo’s for a delicious chocolate and mint version! Ore use store bought chocolate chip cookies with vanilla pudding, hot fudge, whipped cream and M&M”s for a fun and colorful treat.
I call this icebox cake a Boston Cream Pie version, but it is also known as an Eclair cake. The flavor is very similar between the two, so if you want to call it a no bake eclair cake you definitely can! As soon as summer hits and it is hot outside, turning on the oven to bake something just doesn’t sound appealing anymore. But who goes a whole summer with out desserts? That just doesn’t happen. Which is were Icebox Cakes and other no bake desserts come in.
I am all about no bake desserts, like No Bake Monster Cookie Bars so you get the taste of your favorite cookie without the oven. You can also do a cheesecake that is super creamy. Like this No Bake Oreo Cheesecake. Still decadent like cheesecake you are used to, but no heat required.
If you like Boston Cream Pie you will love these Boston Cream Pie Parfaits I posted a few months ago as well. They are great for parties because you can make them ahead. Plus they are layered and just so pretty!
This icebox cake gives you all the flavors you want in the traditional dessert, but it is super easy to make, no oven required. The graham crackers get soft as you let the “cake” set in the fridge, so they really taste like cake when you serve it. I made this Strawberry Ice Box Cake last summer, and I see many more versions in our future!
I created a fun group on Facebook, and I would love for you to join us! It’s a place where you can share YOUR favorite recipes, ask questions, and see what’s new at Dinners, Dishes and Desserts (so that you never miss a new recipe)! If you’d like to check it out, you can request to join HERE.
Be sure to follow me on Instagram and tag #dinnersdishes so I can see all the wonderful DINNERS, DISHES, AND DESSERTS recipes YOU make!
Connect with Dinners, Dishes, and Desserts!
Be sure to follow me on my social media, so you never miss a post!
- 1 box graham crackers
- 2 boxes vanilla instant pudding mix
- 3 cups cold milk
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/2 cup chocolate chip, (semi-sweet)
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Using a mixer, mix heavy cream until you have soft peaks. Add powdered sugar and vanilla, and mix until stiff peaks. Set aside.
- Line a 13x9 inch baking dish with a layer of graham crackers. Break then into squares or smaller to make them fit.
- In a large bowl mix together 2 boxes of pudding mix with 3 cups of milk. Whisk until well combined. Fold in the prepared whipped cream.
- Pour 1/2 of pudding mixture over graham crackers. Repeat with another layer of crackers, and the remaining pudding. Top with a 3rd layer of graham crackers.
- In a small sauce pan mix together all of the ingredients for the chocolate topping. Whisk and cook until the sugar is dissolved, but do not boil. Cook for about 5 minutes over a very low simmer. You can test on your finger or taste to see if it is smooth and the sugar is dissolved
- Pour over graham crackers, spreading evenly.
- Place in fridge for 4-6 hours until chocolate is completely set.
Slightly adapted from 12 Tomatoes
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per ServingCalories 239 Total Fat 15g Saturated Fat 9g Trans Fat 0g Unsaturated Fat 5g Cholesterol 39mg Sodium 113mg Carbohydrates 25g Fiber 0g Sugar 19g Protein 3g