Chicken Souvlaki Skewers with Tzatziki Sauce – tender pieces of Greek chicken that are marinated and grilled to perfection. Served with Tzatziki dipping sauce for a great weeknight dinner.
Grilling and summer go hand in hand. You can make an Herb Grilled Pork Tenderloin using fresh summer herbs or something like these Greek chicken skewers. I am a sucker for Greek flavor and there is just something about tzatziki sauce that I love.
As soon as the weather gets warm I love being able to just throw dinner on the grill and for some reason serving on a stick is just more fun! These Grilled Sausage Kebabs are always a hit at my house.
What is Souvlaki
It is a popular Greek fast food. It is small tender pieces of meet that are grilled and served on a skewer. It is usually served hot and eaten right of the skewer. Here the it is made with a Greek chicken marinade and then a quick homemade tzatziki sauce that is cool and refreshing.
You really can make souvlaki using chicken, pork or even lamb. but I have to stay and chicken souvlaki might be my favorite. It really picks up all the flavors from the marinade and is so light and fresh for the warmer weather.
How to make Chicken Souvlaki
- The Greek chicken marinade is the most important part and what gives it all the flavor. So in a mixing bowl or in a zip lock plastic bag mix together the lemon juice, olive oil, oregano, salt, and garlic.
- Cut chicken into small bit sized pieces and add to the marinade. Squish everything together until the chicken is well coated.
- The chicken needs to sit in the fridge for about 30 minutes before you start grilling. There is a decent amount of lemon juice in the recipe, so you don’t want to let the chicken sit in the marinade for hours or it will start to break down.
- While the chicken is sitting in the fridge, you can get the tzatziki sauce ready. Peel and seed the cucumber to start. Then shred into a clean dish towel. Squeeze out the liquid and then add to a bowl.
- Mix together the cucumber with yogurt, lemon juice, garlic, dill and salt. Set in the fridge until you are ready for dinner. You can make the tzatziki sauce ahead of time, it will last in the fridge for a couple days.
- Once the chicken is done, preheat the grill to a high heat and thread the chicken onto skewers. Grill for about 6 minutes per side or until it is browned and cooked through.
- Serve immediately and enjoy!
Summer is all about enjoying time with family and friends and spending time out doors. You want easy dinners, and especially ones that you can throw on the grill and not heat up the house. I have tons of Summer Grilling Dinner Ideas to keep you happy and anything but bored all summer long.
Make sure to add this Greek chicken recipe to your menu and the whole family will love it!
I created a fun group on Facebook, and I would love for you to join us! It’s a place where you can share YOUR favorite recipes, ask questions, and see what’s new at Dinners, Dishes and Desserts (so that you never miss a new recipe)! If you’d like to check it out, you can request to join HERE.
Be sure to follow me on Instagram and tag #dinnersdishes so I can see all the wonderful DINNERS, DISHES, AND DESSERTS recipes YOU make!
Connect with Dinners, Dishes, and Desserts!
Be sure to follow me on my social media, so you never miss a post!
- 3 Tbls lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 4 garlic cloves, , grated minced
- 1 pound boneless, , skinless chicken breast, cut into 1 inch cubes
- 1/2 cup cucumber, , peeled, seeded, shredded, and drained
- 1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt (I used Chobani!
- 1 Tbls lemon juice
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 garlic clove, , grated or minced
- 1/4 tsp dill
- Mix together lemon juice, oregano, olive oil, salt, and garlic in a resealable plastic bag. Add chicken, seal, and toss to coat. Set in the fridge for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile prepare the tzatziki sauce. In a bowl stir together cucumber, yogurt, lemon juice, salt, garlic, and dill. Set aside until ready to serve.
- Preheat grill to medium-high heat. Thread pieces of chicken onto skewers.
- Grill for 8 minutes per side, or until cooked through.
- Serve immediately with tzatziki sauce
Slightly adapted from Cooking Light
Amount Per Serving Calories 263Total Fat 7gSaturated Fat 2gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 4gCholesterol 98mgSodium 545mgCarbohydrates 7gFiber 1gSugar 5gProtein 41g
Nutrition Disclaimer: All information presented on this site is intended for informational purposes only. I am not a certified nutritionist and any nutritional information shared on dinnersdishesanddesserts.com should only be used as a general guideline.