Chicken Souvlaki Skewers with Tzatziki Sauce – tender pieces of Greek chicken that are marinated and grilled to perfection. Served with Tzatziki dipping sauce for a great weeknight dinner.
Grilling and summer go hand in hand. You can make an Herb Grilled Pork Tenderloin using fresh summer herbs or something like these Greek chicken skewers. I am a sucker for Greek flavor and there is just something about tzatziki sauce that I love.
As soon as the weather gets warm I love being able to just throw dinner on the grill and for some reason serving on a stick is just more fun! These Grilled Sausage Kebabs are always a hit at my house.
What is Souvlaki
It is a popular Greek fast food. It is small tender pieces of meet that are grilled and served on a skewer. It is usually served hot and eaten right of the skewer. Here the it is made with a Greek chicken marinade and then a quick homemade tzatziki sauce that is cool and refreshing.
You really can make souvlaki using chicken, pork or even lamb. but I have to stay and chicken souvlaki might be my favorite. It really picks up all the flavors from the marinade and is so light and fresh for the warmer weather.
What You’ll Need
Be sure to scroll down to the recipe card to get the measurements and full instructions!
- Chicken Breasts
- Olive Oil
- Lemon Juice
- Dried Oregano
Tzatziki Sauce for Dipping
- Plain Greek Yogurt
- Lemon Juice
- Fresh Dill
How to make Chicken Souvlaki
- Make the Marinade. In a mixing bowl or in a zip lock plastic bag mix together the lemon juice, olive oil, oregano, salt, and garlic. Add to the marinade. Squish everything together until the chicken is well coated. Place in the fridge for 30 minutes.
- Make the sauce. Peel and seed the cucumber to start. Then shred into a clean dish towel. Squeeze out the liquid and then add to a bowl. Mix together the cucumber with yogurt, lemon juice, garlic, dill and salt. Set in the fridge until you are ready for dinner. You can make the tzatziki sauce ahead of time, it will last in the fridge for a couple days.
- Grill the chicken. Once the chicken is done, preheat the grill to a high heat and thread the chicken onto skewers. Grill for about 6 minutes per side or until it is browned and cooked through.
- Serve immediately and enjoy!
Recipe Tips & Tricks
- Soak the skewers. If you are using wood skewers, you will want to soak them in water, so they don’t catch fire and burn on the grill. You can let them soak in a 13×9 inch baking pan while the chicken is in the fridge marinating.
- Don’t have a grill? Don’t worry if you don’t have a grill, you can cook these under the broiler in the oven for about 5 minutes per side. Or you can even cook them in a skillet over high heat.
- Fresh lemon juice. Take the extra minute and use a fresh lemon. It have much better flavor then the bottled stuff and will just make your chicken taste better.
- Do not make ahead. Because of how much lemon juice is in the marinade, this isn’t something you want sitting in the fridge all day. The chicken will start to break down and the texture will not be good.
What Goes With Chicken Souvlaki
You can serve this grilled chicken with just about anything. Pitas or Naan bread are great and delicious to dip in the extra sauce.
Storing and Reheat Leftover Chicken Souvlaki
Leftovers should be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 4 days. The sauce will last covered in the fridge for up to a week. To reheat you can microwave the chicken or heat the chicken in a skillet over medium heat until they are warmed through.
More Easy Chicken Dinner Recipes
- Chicken Chilaquiles
- Barbecue Chicken Nachos
- Curry Chicken Salad
- Chick Fil A Grilled Nuggets
- Instant Pot Chicken Fajitas
- Boneless Chicken Wings
- 3 Tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 garlic cloves, grated minced
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breast, cut into 1 inch cubes
- 1/2 cup cucumber, peeled, seeded, shredded, and drained
- 1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1 Tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 garlic clove, grated or minced
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh dill
- Mix together lemon juice, oregano, olive oil, salt, and garlic in a resealable plastic bag. Add chicken, seal, and toss to coat. Set in the fridge for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile prepare the tzatziki sauce. In a bowl stir together cucumber, yogurt, lemon juice, salt, garlic, and dill. Set aside until ready to serve.
- Preheat grill to medium-high heat. Thread pieces of chicken onto skewers.
- Grill for 8 minutes per side, or until cooked through.
- Serve immediately with tzatziki sauce
Slightly adapted from Cooking Light
Amount Per Serving Calories 233Total Fat 6gSaturated Fat 1gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 4gCholesterol 98mgSodium 532mgCarbohydrates 3gFiber 0gSugar 1gProtein 38g
Nutrition Disclaimer: All information presented on this site is intended for informational purposes only. I am not a certified nutritionist and any nutritional information shared on dinnersdishesanddesserts.com should only be used as a general guideline.
I created a fun group on Facebook, and I would love for you to join us! It’s a place where you can share YOUR favorite recipes, ask questions, and see what’s new at Dinners, Dishes and Desserts (so that you never miss a new recipe)!
Be sure to follow me on Instagram and tag #dinnersdishes so I can see all the wonderful DINNERS, DISHES, AND DESSERTS recipes YOU make!
Be sure to follow me on my social media, so you never miss a post!