Olive Oil Brownies – Rich and fudgy double chocolate brownies made with extra light olive oil. They are dense, chocolate-y and have the perfect crackly top!
Brownies are pretty much my all time favorite dessert, and I have been making them pretty much my whole life. I had our family memorized by the time I was probably 8 years old. And as much as I love those, I was really excited to play around with the recipe and see how olive oil worked in baking.
Can You Use Olive Oil In Brownies? The short answer is 100% yes. You get a super rich, fudgy, dense, and delicious brownie that still has that crackly top brownies are known for.
Olive oil brownies are basically a dairy free version of my tried and true recipe I have been making my entire life. Just make sure to you dairy free chocolate chips if dairy is an issue for you or someone you are serving them to.
Why Olive Oil In Brownies
The olive oil is a great substitute for butter in this recipe. But also it gives them a richness and fudginess that is just a little bit different than vegetable or canola oil. Depending on the olive oil you use, you may taste a hint of fruitiness or something in the background you can’t quite identify. This happens with extra virgin oils and the more flavorful ones. But if you have a light olive oil it will be really hard to taste a difference.
How To Make Olive Oil Brownies
- Start by mixing olive oil and unsweetened melted chocolate together in a bowl until it is well blended and smooth.
- Mix in the sugar, eggs and vanilla extract and beat until really well combined.
- Mix in flour and salt until it is just incorporated and no white streaks remain.
- Fold in the chocolate chips and pour into your prepared baking dish.
- Then bake for about 25 minutes until a tester comes out barely clean. You want a few crumbs on the tester, just not raw better.
These are such an easy one bowl brownie recipe you can make in just minutes!
Brownie Recipe Tips
- Do not over bake your brownies. This is biggest thing you can do to make sure your brownies are fudgy and delicious. When you use a toothpick or something to test when they are done, you don’t want it perfectly clean. This means they are 100% cooked already. When you take them out of the oven, they stay in that 350º F pan, so they will continue to cook. This means, by the time you serve them they are definitely over done.
- Do not over mix. When you are mixing in your flour, stop as soon as the white streaks are done. Over mixing leads to a tough texture and not what you want in a brownie.
- Use a spatula, no need for a mixer of any kind. Brownies are so easy to make with just a bowl and spatula. No need to break out any other equipment for this recipe.
- If you need to make sure these brownies are dairy free, check your chocolate. Unsweetened chocolate should not have any milk products added, but double check. And make sure to use dairy free chocolate chips as well.
More Tasty Brownie Recipes
- Peanut Butter Stuffed Brownies
- Brownie Pizza
- S’mores Brownies
- Cosmic Brownies
- Mudslide Brownies
- Homemade Brownies
- M&M Brownies
- 2 oz unsweetened chocolate, melted
- 1/3 cup Olive Oil
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line an 8 inch baking dish with parchment paper, or grease. Set aside.
- In a bowl mix together melted chocolate and olive oil. Stir in sugar, eggs, and vanilla until well combined.
- Mix in flour and salt. Fold in chocolate chips.
- Pour into prepared baking dish.
- Bake for 25 minutes, until a tester comes out mostly clean. Do not over bake.
- Remove from oven and cool completely before slicing
To make these Dairy Free, use dairy free chocolate chips
Amount Per Serving Calories 365Total Fat 26gSaturated Fat 7gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 18gCholesterol 31mgSodium 112mgCarbohydrates 33gFiber 2gSugar 25gProtein 3g
I created a fun group on Facebook, and I would love for you to join us! It’s a place where you can share YOUR favorite recipes, ask questions, and see what’s new at Dinners, Dishes and Desserts (so that you never miss a new recipe)! If you’d like to check it out, you can request to join HERE.
Be sure to follow me on Instagram and tag #dinnersdishes so I can see all the wonderful DINNERS, DISHES, AND DESSERTS recipes YOU make!
Be sure to follow me on my social media, so you never miss a post!
**I have an ongoing relationship with STAR Fine Foods or recipe development.