Today my 8 year old becomes my 9 year old! I can not believe how quickly the time has gone. He was debating all week what he wanted for dinner, finally he decided on homemade sausage stromboli and strawberry shortcake for dessert. I must say, I am pretty surprised he didn’t pick going out for dinner. I gave him lots of ideas, but in the end he said he wanted me to cook dinner. The boy sure does know the way to make his mom happy! Now to find some good strawberries, so I can make a good shortcake tonight!
So to celebrate my 9 year olds birthday, I will share one of his favorite desserts. Aside from strawberry shortcake, he is pretty much a chocolate dessert kid. And brownies are one of his all time favorite treats. So I decided to mix it up a little using STAR Fine Foods Olive Oil. I had a bottle of Extra Light Olive Oil that I thought would be perfect. I used the brownie recipe that I grew up using, but substituted the olive oil for the canola oil. I also added another form of chocolate, because that just seemed like the right thing to do. If you want to involve even more chocolate, topping them with chocolate frosting would be a great idea! I didn’t have any, or that would have been done at my house.
I am firmly in the fudgy brownie camp, and these olive oil brownies lived up to that. I have never baked with olive before, so I was unsure how it would go. After these results, I can’t wait to try it in more recipes! Cake, muffins, cookies….the possibilities are endless. The extra light olive oil didn’t affect the texture at all, but gave them a little bit richer of a flavor.
- 2 oz unsweetened chocolate , melted
- 1/3 cup STAR Extra Light Olive Oil
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line an 8 inch baking dish with parchment paper, or grease. Set aside.
- In a bowl mix together melted chocolate and olive oil. Stir in sugar, eggs, and vanilla until well combined.
- Mix in flour and salt. Fold in chocolate chips.
- Pour into prepared baking dish.
- Bake for 25 minutes, until a tester comes out mostly clean. Do not over bake.
- Remove from oven and cool completely before slicing
**I have an ongoing relationship with STAR Fine Foods or recipe development.