French Onion Macaroni and Cheese – Creamy homemade mac and cheese with caramelized onion, bacon, and topped with croutons.
Homemade macaroni and cheese is total comfort food for pretty much everyone! Creamy, cheesy, and so good in pretty much any form. Today I am combining it with my husbands all time favorite French Onion Soup for an over the top version that you are going to want to try immediately!
Caramelized onions are pretty much the best thing ever, so adding them makes perfect sense. Pretty sure it is acceptable to add them to anything. I also added a little bacon. We all know that bacon makes everything better, so this seemed like a good idea. Pasta, cheese, caramelized onions, and bacon; are you sold yet? I made this for the ladies of cooking club this month, and they loved it. Kind of seriously, over the top, gooey, deliciousness.
This is a baked mac and cheese recipe, so it takes a little longer to make, but it is totally worth it. The croutons on top get extra crunchy and golden brown and all of the flavors just blend together in perfect harmony.
- Pasta – the first step is to boil the noodles. You want to make sure you under cook them because they will continue to cook in the oven and you do not want them to be mushy.
- Sauce – the sauce starts by melting butter and sauteing garlic. Then you add flour which will help thicken everything. The milk gets mixed in until everything is smooth. I use skim milk, because that is what we have on hand all the time. But you can use whatever you have. Heavy cream or half and half would work and this would be even more decadent and delicious.
- Cheese – stir in the cheeses until they are completely melted and you have a glorious cheese sauce. I use a mix of 3 cheeses (Monterey Jack, Mozzarella, and Gruyere) to get the best flavor and creaminess that goes with French onion soup.
- Bake – everything gets mixed together and put in a casserole dish. Top with the croutons and then you bake until it is hot, bubbly, and the croutons are golden brown.
Homemade macaroni and cheese is pretty darn easy to make and so much better than anything from a box. It does take more time, but just look at it. It is a totally different food than the stuff from a box, not even fair to compare them. So if you love French onion soup and you love mac and cheese, this is a definite must!
More Pasta Recipes To Try
- Panera Mac and Cheese
- Pesto Cavatappi
- Bacon Macaroni and Cheese
- Stovetop Mac and Cheese
- Homemade Hamburger Helper Lasagna
- Creamy Mushroom Pasta
- Pasta Milano
- 1 pound pasta, , cooked 2 minutes shy of the time on the box
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons all purpose flour
- 2 cups milk
- 6 ounces Gruyere cheese, , shredded
- 6 ounces Monterey Jack, , shredded
- 6 ounces mozzarella cheese, , shredded
- 3 cloves garlic, , minced
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 tsp fresh grated nutmeg
- 1 cup caramelized onions
- 1/2 cup crumbled bacon
- 1/2 cup croutons, , crushed
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a sauce pan melt butter. Add garlic and saute until fragrant. Mix in flour, and stir until it forms a paste. Slowly whisk in the milk, stirring constantly. Add salt, pepper, and nutmeg.
- Stir in cheeses, and mix until hot and smooth. Remove from heat.
- In a large bowl mix together cooked pasta, bacon, caramelized onions and cheese sauce.
- Pour into a large casserole dish. Top with crushed croutons.
- Place in oven for 20-25 minutes; until bubbly and the croutons are golden.
Amount Per ServingCalories 677Total Fat 43gSaturated Fat 24gTrans Fat 1gUnsaturated Fat 16gCholesterol 124mgSodium 1244mgCarbohydrates 38gFiber 2gSugar 3gProtein 35g
I created a fun group on Facebook, and I would love for you to join us! It’s a place where you can share YOUR favorite recipes, ask questions, and see what’s new at Dinners, Dishes and Desserts (so that you never miss a new recipe)! If you’d like to check it out, you can request to join HERE.
Be sure to follow me on Instagram and tag #dinnersdishes so I can see all the wonderful DINNERS, DISHES, AND DESSERTS recipes YOU make!
Connect with Dinners, Dishes, and Desserts!
Be sure to follow me on my social media, so you never miss a post!