Grilled Avocado Chicken – perfectly tender and juicy grilled chicken topped with an avocado and tomato salsa. A healthy, fresh and easy dinner any night of the week.
Chicken and avocado is kind of a match made in heaven. They just work so well together in just about any form. If you aren’t a fan of mayo, this Avocado Chicken Salad is seriously one of my favorite meals.
I have been making this grilled chicken with avocado salsa for probably 15 years. It is a fresh and delicious meal in the summer that doesn’t heat up the house, but is loaded with so much fresh and bright flavor.
This grilled chicken with avocado salsa is quickly going to become a favorite in your house. It is ready in about 35 minutes, from start to finish, including letting the chicken marinate. And that fresh avocado salsa is just down right addicting.
If you can find garden fresh tomatoes, it will take it to a whole new level. Such a bright and fresh dinner that is healthy, but loaded with so much flavor. My family loves anything with avocado, so this is on repeat all summer long!
Chicken With Avocado Salsa Ingredients
Be sure to scroll down to the recipe card to get the measurements and full instructions!
- Chicken Breasts
- Olive Oil
- Lime Juice
- Salt & Pepper
How To Make Grilled Avocado Chicken
Be sure to scroll all the way down to the recipe card to get the full recipe and instructions.
- In a plastic zip top bag or a shallow bowl whisk together lime juice, olive oil, garlic, salt and pepper. Add chicken and toss to coat. Place in the fridge for about 20 minutes to marinate.
- Meanwhile prepare the avocado salsa by mixing together diced avocado, diced tomato, onion, cilantro, salt, pepper and lime juice. Once everything is well combined store in the fridge until ready to use.
- Place pieces of chicken on a hot grill and cook for 5-6 minutes per side, until the chicken is cooked through, which is an internal temperature of 165º F. How long will depend on how thick your chicken is. If you are using chicken cutlets, it will take closer to 4 minutes a side.
- Remove the chicken from the grill and top with avocado salsa to serve.
Yep, if you don’t have a grill you can absolutely cook this in a skillet or on an indoor grill. Just heat the pan to medium high heat and add the chicken. It should still take 5-6 minutes per side. Just take the internal temperature to make sure it is to 165º F, and safe to eat.
Absolutely. You really can cook the chicken whatever your favorite way to cook chicken is. I like the flavor the grill gives it. But you can bake the chicken at 425º F for about 20 minutes, or you could even use the air fryer. Follow the Air Fryer Chicken Breast instructions to get the proper time and temperature.
The avocado salsa is best made when you are ready to serve. The avocados will start to turn brown and not have the same texture if you make it too much ahead of time. But you can cook the chicken ahead and just reheat to serve if desired.
What Goes With Avocado Chicken
This is such a versatile dish you really can serve whatever your favorite side is.
- The avocado salsa is best shortly after you make it. So it is best not to make it ahead of time. The avocado will start to turn brown and not be the same texture if it sits for too long.
- Use a meat thermometer to check when your chicken is done. Most people are so concerned about serving undercooked chicken that they cook it for way too long. The best thing is to check for doneness. Once the chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165º F, it is done cooking and perfectly safe to eat.
- Make sure to preheat your grill while the chicken is marinating. You want to put the chicken on a very hot grill. This not only gives you the grill marks you always want, but it sears the outside of the chicken quickly. This locks in the juices and makes your chicken more tender and delicious.
- Use chicken pieces that are all about the same size. If you have one very large piece and a smaller piece, the smaller one will be very over done by the time the bigger one is cooked. So if you need to pound them thinner so they are the same thickness you can. Or if they are very large chicken breasts, you can cut them in half or butterfly them, so they are thinner and easier to cook evenly.
More Delicious Chicken Dinner Recipes
- Fiesta Lime Chicken
- Grilled Margarita Chicken
- Cilantro Lime Chicken
- Grilled Chicken Sandwich
- Jerk Chicken
- Cafe Rio Chicken
- Grilled Chicken Legs
- Baked Caesar Chicken
For the Chicken:
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/3 cup lime juice, (about 3 limes)
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
For the Avocado Salsa:
- 2 avocados, pitted and diced
- 2 roma tomatoes, diced
- 3 Tablespoons diced onion
- 2 Tablespoons cilantro, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 lime, juiced
- Lime wedges, (optional)
- In a large resealable plastic bag combine all the ingredients for the chicken. Add chicken, and marinate for 20 minutes.
- Preheat grill to medium-high heat. Grill chicken for about 6 minutes a side, or until cooked all the way through. Chicken should have an internal temperature of 165º when it is fully cooked.
- Meanwhile prepare the salsa by mixing all the salsa ingredients together in a bowl. Stir until well combined. Store in the fridge until ready to serve.
- To serve, place about 1/4 cup of salsa over each chicken breast. Garish with additional lime wedges if desired.
Amount Per Serving Calories 445Total Fat 23gSaturated Fat 4gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 17gCholesterol 102mgSodium 685mgCarbohydrates 23gFiber 9gSugar 6gProtein 41g
I created a fun group on Facebook, and I would love for you to join us! It’s a place where you can share YOUR favorite recipes, ask questions, and see what’s new at Dinners, Dishes and Desserts (so that you never miss a new recipe)!
Be sure to follow me on Instagram and tag #dinnersdishes so I can see all the wonderful DINNERS, DISHES, AND DESSERTS recipes YOU make!
Be sure to follow me on my social media, so you never miss a post!