Welcome to Day #4 of Christmas Week, a multi-blogger event co-hosted by Kim of Cravings of a Lunatic and Jen from Juanita’s Cocina! Each day we will be celebrating the holidays with a different set of Christmas-themed treats, as well as a fabulous Christmas giveaway. We hope you enjoy this fabulous event. Tune in each day starting today, Monday, December 9th and ending Saturday, December 14th.
I took yesterday off from Christmas Week, but it was still going on! There is a great giveaway you should go enter….after you check out what is going on today! What are some of your favorite treats to have around the holidays? I am all for the little things, small pieces of candy or little cookies, so I can try a few different things. Fudge and caramels are pretty much my 2 biggest downfalls. I shared my all time favorite fudge recipe last year. I also have a fun new fudge recipe coming tomorrow. So today, I made caramels.
There really is nothing like homemade caramels. I use the store bought ones all the time when baking, but if I am going to eat them by themselves, homemade is the way to go! It is probably easier than you think too. Candy can be kind of intimidating, but if you just relax and follow the directions you should be fine. Having a good/accurate thermometer is important. Mine is not very good at all, so I always have to calibrate it first. That is much easier than it sounds, trust me!! Thing boil at about 212 degrees F. So, note on your thermometer what temp it actually starts to boil. For me, that was about 205 degrees, 7 degrees different. My recipe says to cook until 245 degrees, so I just subtract 7 degrees, and cook until 238. There is a little math involved, but trust me, it is easier than you think it will be!
- 2 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup butter
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 3/4 cup light corn syrup
Grease or line an 8 inch baking dish with parchment paper.
Combine all ingredients in a large saucepan over medium heat. Stir constantly until mixture reaches 245 degrees on a candy thermometer. If you don't have a thermometer; test in a cup of cold water. Drop a small amount into water, and shape into a ball. Once it holds is shape until pressed, it is done.
Pour into prepared baking dish, and allow to cool completely.
Cut into 1 inch squares, and wrap individual in plastic wrap, foil, or wax paper.
Recipe from Betty Crocker The New Cookbook
Visit all the other Christmas Week Peeps for more Holiday Baking Goodness:
- Mini Sugar Cookie Houses aka Hot Chocolate Mug Perches by Cravings of a Lunatic
- Eggnog Cookie Truffles by The Weekend Gourmet
- Spiked Candy Cane Hot Chocolate by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks:
- Gingerbread Texas Sheet Cake with Lemon Frosting by Chocolate Moosey
- Swirl Cookies by Noshing With The Nolands
- Caramel Apples by My Catholic Kitchen
- Homemade Caramels by Dinners, Dishes, and Desserts
- Puff Pastry Ravioli Mince Pies by Food Lust People Love
- Mounds Brownie Cupcakes by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Hot Chocolate Pull Apart Bread by The Dutch
- Sugared Grape and Phyllo Tart by See Aimee Cook
- Taffy Tan Fudge by Mom’s Test Kitchen
- Double Chocolate Pecan Cookies by Cooking In Stilettos
- Cinnamon Raisin Oatmeal Bread by Liv Life
- White Chocolate Candy Cane Fudge by Rants From My Crazy Kitchen
- Devil’s Food Cake Cookies by Try Anything Once Culinary
- Cinnamon Whiskey Balls by Home Cooking Memories
- Pumpkin Chiffon Pie by Jen’s Favorite Cookies
- Candy Cane Blossoms by Like Mother Like Daughter
Today’s #ChristmasWeek giveaway comes courtesy of Swissmar. Le Cordon Bleu has been a worldwide leader in gastronomy and hospitality for over 100 years and are widely considered the guardian of French culinary technique. Swissmar now combines this culinary expertise with their own knowledge and brand recognition to introduce this fantastic new line.
The Le Cordon Bleu ceramic ovenware from Swissmar are all freezer safe, oven safe, dishwasher and microwave safe. The French-inspired Charmant Collection 5 qt. Rectangular Roaster has scalloped edges and is beautiful enough to go straight from oven to table! To enter to win a Swissmar Roaster, read the details and use the Rafflecopter below!
***This giveaway is for one Swissmar Charmant Collection 5 qt. Rectangular Roaster (winner’s choice of color: blue, yellow, red, or white)! This giveaway is open to Continental US residents only . When the contest concludes, the winner will be chosen by random draw. The winner will be notified through e-mail and they will have 3 days to respond or another winner will be chosen.***
***Disclaimer: This giveaway is being provided by Swissmar. #ChristmasWeek bloggers have not received product or been compensated as a part of this giveaway.***