Cranberry Orange Bread – Moist and Tender quick bread with fresh tart cranberries and orange. Makes for a great snack or breakfast!
Holiday traditions are so important this time of year. When I was a kid we ALWAYS made Fudge on Christmas Eve, and I still do that with my family today. For my husband it is making his family’s Party Mix the day after Thanksgiving every year. And Reese’s Fudge is must for my son, no matter what is has to get made.
When I was growing up this cranberry orange bread was always at my grandma’s house during the holidays. It brings back so many memories, it is a staple at our house during the holiday season.
How to Make Cranberry Orange Bread
- Sift together flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, and baking soda.
- Add butter than has been cut into small cubes to the flour mixture. Use a pastry cutter or even your fingers to mix the butter into the flour. You want to get a crumbly coarse sand texture.
- Next mix in the egg and orange juice until the batter comes together. Be careful not to over mix, so as soon as the flour is mixed in top.
- Fold in the chopped cranberries until they are evenly divided.
- Pour into a prepared loaf pan and bake. You want want a tester to come out clean. If the bread starts to get too dark cover with foil.
- Remove the bread from the oven and let cool in pan for about 10 minutes before removing from the pan to cool completely.
Can you Freeze Cranberry Bread?
Yes, you absolutely can. You can wrap the entire loaf in plastic wrap and then in foil or place in a freezer safe bag. It will be good for 2-3 months. If you want to take out just a slice or two at a time, slice the loaf and then lay the slices on a baking sheet. Freeze for 1-2 hours and then place in a freezer safe bag and store for 2-3 months. Then when you want a snack with your coffee you can take out a slice and microwave for 30 seconds.
Can You Use Dried Cranberries?
Yes, you would use the same amount called for in the recipe. I like to soak them in the orange juice for about 10 minutes before I add them to the batter. Then you just continue like normal!
Cranberry Bread Variations
- Mix in nuts! Use about 1/2 cup of either chopped pecans or walnuts. Mix into the batter when you mix in the cranberries
- Add white chocolate chips. About 1 cup of white chocolate chips goes perfectly in this bread.
- Top is a glaze. And orange glaze really brings out the flavor and adds a little more sweetness. Mix 1 cup of powdered sugar with 1-2 Tablespoons or orange juice and then drizzle over cooled bread.
Other Quick Breads You Might Like
- Blueberry Banana Bread
- Chocolate Chip Pumpkin Bread
- Apple Pie Bread
- Coconut Lime Quick Bread
- Double Chocolate Zucchini Bread
More Cranberry Recipes
- 2 cups flour, , sifted
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 egg, , beaten
- 3/4 cup orange juice
- 1 1/2 cups fresh, (or frozen) cranberries, chopped
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 9x5x3 loaf pan.
- Stir together flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and baking soda. Cut in butter until crumbly. Add the egg and orange juice. Stir until just combined, do not over mix. Fold in cranberries.
- Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake for about an hour, or until a toothpick comes out clean. Remove from pan and cool on a wire rack.
Adapted from Parents Magazine
Serving Size12 Servings
Amount Per ServingCalories 187Total Fat 4gSaturated Fat 3gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 1gCholesterol 26mgSodium 344mgCarbohydrates 34gFiber 1gSugar 18gProtein 3g
I created a fun group on Facebook, and I would love for you to join us! It’s a place where you can share YOUR favorite recipes, ask questions, and see what’s new at Dinners, Dishes and Desserts (so that you never miss a new recipe)! If you’d like to check it out, you can request to join HERE.
Be sure to follow me on Instagram and tag #dinnersdishes so I can see all the wonderful DINNERS, DISHES, AND DESSERTS recipes YOU make!
Connect with Dinners, Dishes, and Desserts!
Be sure to follow me on my social media, so you never miss a post!