Pistachio Ice Cream – rich and creamy homemade pistachio flavored ice cream, loaded with even more chopped pistachios.
Ice cream is kind of a staple in the summer. It is cool, creamy, and just the perfect treat. Especially when you are on summer vacation. Stopping for ice cream is pretty much required. And the funny thing is, I can always know what flavors my family will choose before we even stop. My husband is always Mint Chocolate Chip.
His all time favorite really is pistachio ice cream, but you almost never see it. My son is all about anything with peanut butter. Like this peanut butter lover’s ice cream. And for me….cookie dough. So predictable.
A few weeks ago I shared these Pistachio Ice Cream Sandwich Cookies. They use this homemade ice cream for the filling. I first made this ice cream when I started blogging 6 years ago. I have made it many times since, it really is my husband’s favorite.
When we were in Italy this summer, my husband would order pistachio gelato every chance he got. Which he said was similar to this. We were talking with one guide who cooked a lot, and her husband was a chef. She asked if I ever made pistachio ice cream at home, and if I used pistachio paste. I said I had never seen paste, I just grind up the nuts and steep them in milk to get the flavor.
After making this pistachio ice cream again this summer, I now want to find the paste! This version is so easy with just letting the nuts soak in the milk, so the flavor goes throughout the whole ice cream.
Looking for more frozen recipes to get through summer?
- 1 1/4 cup shelled pistachios nuts
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1 cup whole milk
- 6 large egg yolks
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp almond extract
- 1/2 cup pistachios, coarsely chopped
- Grind the 1 ¼ cup pistachios in a food processor. They should be finely ground, but not a paste.
- In a large saucepan heat the milk, sugar, and 1 cup of the cream. Stir to dissolve the sugar. Stir in the ground nuts. Cover, remove from heat, and let sit for 30-45 minutes.
- Strain the warm nuts mixture, pressing the nuts to remove as much liquid as possible. Throw away the nuts. Put the liquid back in the saucepan.
- In a separate bowl pour the remaining 1 cup of heavy cream. Cover this bowl with a strainer. Set this aside.
- In another bowl whisk together the egg yolks. Slowly pour the warm milk mixture into the egg yolks, stirring constantly. Then pour back into the saucepan.
- Stir constantly over medium heat with a heatproof spatula until the mixture thickens and coats the spatula. You will want to make sure you scrape the bottom when you are stirring.
- Pour the custard through the strainer and into the cream. Add the vanilla and almond extract. Stir to combine.
- Refrigerate until cold. Pour into an ice cream maker and freeze according to the directions. One finished churning, fold in the ½ cup pistachios. Store in air tight container in freezer.
Recipe from Brown Eyed Baker
Amount Per ServingCalories 563Total Fat 43gSaturated Fat 22gTrans Fat 1gUnsaturated Fat 18gCholesterol 310mgSodium 169mgCarbohydrates 34gFiber 1gSugar 31gProtein 13g
Nutrition Disclaimer: All information presented on this site is intended for informational purposes only. I am not a certified nutritionist and any nutritional information shared on dinnersdishesanddesserts.com should only be used as a general guideline.