Graham cracker flavored cupcake filled with chocolate ganache and topped with a toasted marshmallow frosting.
I swear summer just started, but it is already the end of August, and school is back in session. I have no idea how time goes by so quickly! So to say that Pass the Cookbook Club snuck up on me this month, is an understatement! I thought I had a couple weeks left to figure out what I was going to do, but nope….just a couple days. Thankfully I have friends who like cupcakes, so it was a quick decision on what to make.
This month The Smitten Kitchen Cookbook was chosen. I have heard really good things about this book, so I was excited to get a glimpse inside. I picked the S’mores Layer Cake, but obviously changed things up a bit! We are a family of 3, and one of us doesn’t like chocolate, and one of us 8 years old. So a layer cake is way more than I know what to do with. Well, I know what to do with it, but way more than I need to eat on my own! So I opted to turn them into cupcakes so we could eat a couple, and I could give the rest to friends!
S’mores cupcakes have a graham cracker flavored cake base. They are then filled with a smooth chocolate ganache, and topped with a marshmallow frosting. I had serious issues with the frosting called for in the recipe. After doing some research I don’t think I heated it enough, so it never formed stiff peaks. At the time I didn’t have enough eggs to try again, so I decided to opt for a toasted marshmallow buttercream instead. There are actual toasted marshmallows in the frosting! So good! Whether you make the traditional layer cake or cupcakes, you need to try these!
- 1 cup butter, , softened
- 2 cups flour
- 2 cups honey graham crackers, , processed into a fine powder
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 3/4 tsp baking soda
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 4 eggs
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 1/2 lbs milk chocolate, , finely chopped
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup butter, , softened
- 10 large marshmallows
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 3 Tbls milk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Prepare 24 muffin cups with liners or spray well with nonstick spray.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, graham cracker crumbs, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, cream butter, sugar, and brown sugar together until light and fluffy. Add the eggs, one at a time. Add 1/3 of the flour mixture, mix until mostly combined. Add 1/2 of the buttermilk, mix to combine. Continue alternating, scraping down the bowl as necessary.
- Fill the muffin cups about 2/3rds full. Bake for 14-18 minutes, or until a tester comes out clean. Remove to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Meanwhile, make the chocolate filling. Add chocolate to a heat-safe bowl. In a small saucepan bring the heavy cream and salt to a simmer. Pour over chocolate. Cover and let sit for a couple minutes. Whisk until smooth. Place in the fridge to set up. Or place bowl over an ice bath to speed things ups.
- To make the frosting preheat broiler. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silpat liner. Place marshmallows on baking sheet. Heat for about 1 minute in the oven, or until they start to brown. Turn the marshmallows over, and brown the other side for about 1 minute.
- In a bowl for an electric mixer cream together butter, powdered sugar, vanilla and milk until fluffy. With the mixer on medium-high add the marshmallows a couple at a time. Beat until light and fluffy.
- To fill the cupcakes use a small knife and cut a 1 inch circle, about 1 inch deep from the top of each cupcake. Using a spoon (or you could pipe it), fill each cupcake with about 1 Tbls of chocolate filing. The amount will depend on how big your hole is.
- Once filled, frost each cupcake
Slightly adapted from The Smitten Kitchen Cookbook
Amount Per ServingCalories 413 Total Fat 19g Saturated Fat 12g Trans Fat 1g Unsaturated Fat 6g Cholesterol 75mg Sodium 381mg Carbohydrates 56g Net Carbohydrates 0g Fiber 1g Sugar 41g Sugar Alcohols 0g Protein 5g