This is the last week of school here. I am not sure I am ready for summer break. After spending the long weekend with my son, and him being bored when we weren’t actively doing something, I think it will be a long summer! His teacher just sent home a 10 week course of “homework” to work on over the summer. It isn’t much to do each day, but at least we will have something to work on!
This afternoon my son has field day at school. He really wants me to go watch, so it should be a fun afternoon! Unfortunately, the school district doesn’t allow homemade treats for the kids. These bars would be a great treat for after all the running around they are going to do.
I did learn an important lesson with these bars. Ok, not the bars, but the frosting. I tried to use a sugar substitute for the powdered sugar, and I combined that with the Duncan Hines flavor packets. Not a good idea! Stick with regular sugar, and regular flavor. Maybe the flavor packet would have worked, if it weren’t for the strange taste of the sugar substitute. But with regular frosting these bars are sweet, soft, and delicious.
- 1 cup butter , softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 5 cups flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 cup butter , softened
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 4 cups powdered sugar (approximately)
- 1/3 cup milk (approximately)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line a 13 x 9 in pan with foil. Spray with non-stick spray.
- In an electric mixer cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes.
- Add eggs, one at a time, mixing well after each egg. Stir in vanilla.
- In another bowl mix together the flour, salt, and baking soda.
- With the mixer on low, slowly add in the flour mixture, until just combined. Spread the dough into the prepared baking pan.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes, a tester should come out clean. Allow to cool completely before frosting.
- To make the frosting cream the butter until fluffy. Add vanilla, milk, and 1/2 of the powdered sugar. Continue adding powdered sugar to get to the right consistency. You might have to adjust the milk or powdered sugar to make it spreadable. Spread over the cooled bars.
Recipe from 1
Amount Per ServingCalories 381Total Fat 16gSaturated Fat 10gTrans Fat 1gUnsaturated Fat 5gCholesterol 72mgSodium 259mgCarbohydrates 55gFiber 1gSugar 35gProtein 4g
Nutrition Disclaimer: All information presented on this site is intended for informational purposes only. I am not a certified nutritionist and any nutritional information shared on dinnersdishesanddesserts.com should only be used as a general guideline.