Tomato-Basil Tortellini – a rich and creamy pasta dinner the whole family will love. Ravioli or Tortellini tossed in a sun-dried tomato cream sauce and plenty of fresh basil!
When I am craving comfort food, pasta is pretty much at the top of the list of things that I want. And a creamy pasta that is rich and full of flavor just might win out every time. I could pretty much live on Pasta Milano which has a very similar sauce to this but also has chicken and mushrooms involved.
So if you are anything like me, keep reading because this creamy tortellini is going to be on your list to make very soon!
Why This Recipe Works
- Great for a last minute dinner, you don’t have to have anything thawed or ready, everything can just be pulled out of the fridge and you can start cooking.
- It is ready in minutes. Super fast, and easy recipe you can make in just minutes on a busy night.
- Mix up the flavor of the tortellini or ravioli for different flavors. Use meat filled, cheese filled, spinach etc.
- A mix of milk and heavy cream makes for a rich and creamy sauce, but it isn’t super heavy. You really can use any milk product you want, it just might make a thinner sauce.
What You’ll Need
- Heavy Cream
- Sun-Dried Tomatoes
- Parmesan Cheese
- Salt & Pepper
- Basil for garnish
How to Make Sun Dried Tomato Tortellini
Be sure to scroll down to the recipe card to get the measurements and full instructions!
- Start by cooking the pasta according to the package directions. Then you drain and let it sit until you are ready to use.
- To make the sauce heat butter in a large skillet and gently saute the garlic. You want to be careful not to burn it.
- Mix in flour until there is no white remaining and then whisk in the milk and heavy cream. The flour will help thicken the sauce. I like to use a mixture of milk and heavy cream so it gets thick and creamy, but isn’t over the top. If you want to use all heavy cream for a more decadent meal, then you definitely can.
- Stir in the sun dried tomatoes and bring the mixture to a simmer. You just want to soften the tomatoes and let them infuse their flavor in the sauce.
- Season with salt and pepper and stir in the cheese. Mix until it is nice and smooth.
- Toss in the pasta and stir in the basil.
Absolutely! I like to buy the fresh stuff near the produce section of the grocery store, but frozen works equally as well. You cook it before you add it to the sauce, so use whatever type and flavor you enjoy.
I use a mix of heavy cream and skim milk, just because skim milk is what I always have on hand. But you can use 2%, 1%, or whatever you have on hand. You can really use all heavy cream if you want too, it will just be a richer sauce.
Adding a couple handfuls of spinach to the sauce and letting it wilt down would be a great way to get some more nutrition into this dish.
What Goes With Tomato Basil Tortellini
You can bulk up this dish by adding sliced Chicken Breasts to this recipe or even Sauteed Shrimp.
More Easy Dinner Recipes
- Creamy Mushroom Pasta
- Sausage & Rice Skillet
- Flank Steak Tacos
- Creamy Sausage & Tomato Ravioli
- Beef Burrito Skillet
- Oven Baked Pork Chops
- Spicy Garlic Shrimp
- Sausage Tortellini Skillet
Tomato-Basil Tortellini - a rich and creamy pasta dinner the whole family will love. Ravoili or Tortellini tossed in a sun-dried tomato cream sauce and plenty of fresh basil!
- 1 (20 oz) package tortellini or ravioli
- 2 Tablespoons butter
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 Tablespoons flour
- 1 ½ cup milk
- ½ cup heavy cream
- 1 (8oz) jar sun-dried tomatoes, chopped
- ½ cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ¼ cup fresh basil, chopped
- Cook pasta according to the package directions.
- In a large skillet heat butter until melted, over medium high heat. Add garlic, and saute for 2 minutes until soft, but not burnt.
- Stir in flour, and cook for 2-3 minutes; stirring frequently. Whisk in milk and cream. Add sun-dried tomatoes. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes until it starts to thicken slightly.
- Season with salt and pepper and stir in Parmesan cheese.
- Add cooked pasta, tossing to coat.
- Stir in fresh basil to serve.
Amount Per Serving Calories 312Total Fat 23gSaturated Fat 14gTrans Fat 1gUnsaturated Fat 7gCholesterol 72mgSodium 975mgCarbohydrates 19gFiber 1gSugar 1gProtein 9g
Nutrition Disclaimer: All information presented on this site is intended for informational purposes only. I am not a certified nutritionist and any nutritional information shared on dinnersdishesanddesserts.com should only be used as a general guideline.
I created a fun group on Facebook, and I would love for you to join us! It’s a place where you can share YOUR favorite recipes, ask questions, and see what’s new at Dinners, Dishes and Desserts (so that you never miss a new recipe)! If you’d like to check it out, you can request to join HERE.
Be sure to follow me on Instagram and tag #dinnersdishes so I can see all the wonderful DINNERS, DISHES, AND DESSERTS recipes YOU make!
Be sure to follow me on my social media, so you never miss a post!
Facebook | Twitter | Pinterest | Instagram
Did you know there is a Dinners, Dishes, and Desserts SHOP? Check out all of my E-books as well as branded merchandise HERE! Or you can buy me a coffee to say thanks!
- Beef Stroganoff - March 24, 2023
- Homemade Ravioli - March 22, 2023
- Chocolate Pizza - March 20, 2023
Signup for all the new recipes to be sent to your inbox on Saturday morning!
I love tomato basil sauce and this sounds so easy!
Tonia from TheGunnySack says
My son’s favorite pasta is tortellini! I will have to try making this for him!
Kimberly @ The Daring Gourmet says
This is my kind of comfort food, so good!
Des @ Life's Ambrosia says
This looks so perfect! We spent some time in AZ this month too. Love Spring Training, it gets us out of the Seattle rain. For a few days anyway 🙂
Michelle | A Latte Food says
Love one pot meals! And anything with tomato and basil! Looks amazing!
Michelle | A Dish of Daily Life says
We love pasta too, and that looks fantastic! I love how easy it is!
Kathy @ Beyond the Chicken Coop says
This would be a hit with my family! I love the rich cream sauce!
SO easy and delicious! The whole family would love your pasta, Erin!!!
Megan @ MegUnprocessed.com says
Tomato basil is one of my favorite combos!
It doesn’t get better than tomato and basil. It’s such a classic combination. I actually have made this a couple of times, I just had to come here and let you know!
Perfect meal that the whole family will enjoy!
katerina @ diethood.com says
My family would love this!! I can’t wait to make it! Thanks for sharing!
Love how creamy are these tortellini! They will be a hit in my house!