Tomato-Basil Tortellini – a rich and creamy pasta dinner the whole family will love. Ravoili or Tortellini tossed in a sun-dried tomato cream sauce and plenty of fresh basil!
When I am craving comfort food, pasta is pretty much at the top of the list of things that I want. And a creamy pasta that is rich and full of flavor just might win out every time. I could pretty much live on Pasta Milano which has a very similar sauce to this but also has chicken and mushrooms involved. So if you are anything like me, keep reading because this creamy tortellini is going to be on your list to make very soon!
So when I am struggling with what to make for dinner, pasta is a go to for me. It is ready fast, and I can use whatever I have to make the sauce. Even if it is just a simple red sauce, I can get dinner on the table fast. This Tomato Basil Sauce comes together in just minutes and has so much flavor. As long as you keep a jar of sun dried tomatoes in your pantry, you can get this on the table in about 15 minutes. Sun dried tomatoes last a really long time, so I always have a jar on hand for when I need. it.
For the pasta I am using tortellini, but you could use ravioli or even just a plain pasta. Whatever flavor of tortellini you have will work as well. The sauce doesn’t have any meat in it, so if you have a chicken or sausage tortellini they will definitely work. But you can also go with just cheese. Trust me, I have tried them all and they are all delcious!
How to Make Sun Dried Tomato Tortellini
- Start by cooking the pasta according to the package directions. Then you drain and let it sit until you are ready to use.
- To make the sauce heat butter in a large skillet and gently saute the garlic. You want to be careful not to burn it.
- Mix in flour until there is no white remaining and then whisk in the milk and heavy cream. The flour will help thicken the sauce. I like to use a mixture of milk and heavy cream so it gets thick and creamy, but isn’t over the top. If you want to use all heavy cream for a more decadent meal, then you definitely can.
- Stir in the sun dried tomatoes and bring the mixture to a simmer. You just want to soften the tomatoes and let them infuse their flavor in the sauce.
- Season with salt and pepper and stir in the cheese. Mix until it is nice and smooth.
- Toss in the pasta and stir in the basil.
I love a comforting meal that I can get on the table in just minutes. This isn’t a one pan meal, but you still can get the sauce ready in about the same amount of time the tortellini takes to cook. So dinner is done in no time and the whole family will love it. Plus if you have any leftovers, they are great for lunch the next day. It don’t be quite as creamy as the pasta soaks up some of the sauce as it sits. But still a lunch I always look forward to.
If you don’t have fresh basil, you can use a about 1/2 the amount of dried. Or if you can those freeze dried or lightly dried herbs in the produce section they work really well. They last a lot longer than the fresh herbs, but taste and function almost the same in a recipe like this.
More Easy Dinner Recipes
- Creamy Mushroom Pasta
- Sausage & Rice Skillet
- Flank Steak Tacos
- Creamy Sausage & Tomato Ravioli
- Beef Burrito Skillet
- Oven Baked Pork Chops
- Spicy Garlic Shrimp
- Sausage Tortellini Skillet
- 1 (20 oz) package tortellini or ravioli
- 2 Tablespoons butter
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 Tablespoons flour
- 1 ½ cup milk
- ½ cup heavy cream
- 1 (8oz) jar sun-dried tomatoes, chopped
- ½ cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
- ¼ cup fresh basil, chopped
- Cook pasta according to the package directions.
- In a large skillet heat butter until melted, over medium high heat. Add garlic, and saute for 2 minutes until soft, but not burnt.
- Stir in flour, and cook for 2-3 minutes; stirring frequently. Whisk in milk and cream. Add sun-dried tomatoes. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes until it starts to thicken slightly.
- Season with salt and pepper and stir in Parmesan cheese.
- Add cooked pasta, tossing to coat.
- Stir in fresh basil to serve.
Amount Per Serving Calories 312Total Fat 23gSaturated Fat 14gTrans Fat 1gUnsaturated Fat 7gCholesterol 72mgSodium 975mgCarbohydrates 19gFiber 1gSugar 1gProtein 9g
Nutrition Disclaimer: All information presented on this site is intended for informational purposes only. I am not a certified nutritionist and any nutritional information shared on dinnersdishesanddesserts.com should only be used as a general guideline.
I created a fun group on Facebook, and I would love for you to join us! It’s a place where you can share YOUR favorite recipes, ask questions, and see what’s new at Dinners, Dishes and Desserts (so that you never miss a new recipe)! If you’d like to check it out, you can request to join HERE.
Be sure to follow me on Instagram and tag #dinnersdishes so I can see all the wonderful DINNERS, DISHES, AND DESSERTS recipes YOU make!
Connect with Dinners, Dishes, and Desserts!
Be sure to follow me on my social media, so you never miss a post!