My husband and son are big fans of fish. I know how good it is for you, I just haven’t been able to get on board with liking it. Every time my husband orders it out I try his, hoping this will be the time I like it. I finally like shrimp, so it only seems like a matter of time before fish follows, right?
Well, I finally decided to suck it up and just make it at home for the guys. Mild, white fish, like Cod or Tilapia have always been borderline for me. I don’t strongly dislike them, but I don’t really enjoy them either. So Tilapia seemed like a good place to start. I like tortilla chips and Mexican spices, so I used that as a coating, and baked it. When I told my 8 year old we were having tortilla crusted fish for dinner, he was not excited. Then I explained that was just fish with crushed tortilla chips on it. He got a lot more excited.
This tortilla crusted fish was super easy to make on a weeknight. You make it similar to you would chicken tenders. Dust each filet in flour, dip in egg wash, and then press into the tortilla chip mixture. The Tilapia filets I used were pretty thin, so they baked in less than 15 minutes. Cod, Halibut, Flounder or even Haddock would all work really well with this recipe.
- 1 1/2 cup crushed tortilla chips
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 4 Tilipia filets, (or other white fish)
- 1 egg white
- 3 Tbls water
- 1/3 cup flour
- Lime Wedges for serving
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- In a bowl mix together tortilla chips with all of the seasonings. Whisk together the egg white and water in a separate bowl. Place the flour in a third bowl.
- Dredge 1 filet in the flour, dust off any extra. Run the filet through the egg white. Press into the tortilla chip mixture, to evenly coat.
- Place on a baking sheet lined with foil. Repeat with the other filets.
- Bake for 12-14 minutes until fully cooked. The fish will be white and flaky.
- Squeeze a wedge of lime over fish for serving.
Amount Per ServingCalories 386 Total Fat 11g Saturated Fat 3g Trans Fat 0g Unsaturated Fat 6g Cholesterol 118mg Sodium 479mg Carbohydrates 19g Net Carbohydrates 0g Fiber 2g Sugar 1g Sugar Alcohols 0g Protein 53g