My husband and son are big fans of fish. I know how good it is for you, I just haven’t been able to get on board with liking it. Every time my husband orders it out I try his, hoping this will be the time I like it. I finally like shrimp, so it only seems like a matter of time before fish follows, right?
Well, I finally decided to suck it up and just make it at home for the guys. Mild, white fish, like Cod or Tilapia have always been borderline for me. I don’t strongly dislike them, but I don’t really enjoy them either. So Tilapia seemed like a good place to start. I like tortilla chips and Mexican spices, so I used that as a coating, and baked it. When I told my 8 year old we were having tortilla crusted fish for dinner, he was not excited. Then I explained that was just fish with crushed tortilla chips on it. He got a lot more excited.
This tortilla crusted fish was super easy to make on a weeknight. You make it similar to you would chicken tenders. Dust each filet in flour, dip in egg wash, and then press into the tortilla chip mixture. The Tilapia filets I used were pretty thin, so they baked in less than 15 minutes. Cod, Halibut, Flounder or even Haddock would all work really well with this recipe.
- 1 1/2 cup crushed tortilla chips
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 4 Tilipia filets, (or other white fish)
- 1 egg white
- 3 Tbls water
- 1/3 cup flour
- Lime Wedges for serving
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- In a bowl mix together tortilla chips with all of the seasonings. Whisk together the egg white and water in a separate bowl. Place the flour in a third bowl.
- Dredge 1 filet in the flour, dust off any extra. Run the filet through the egg white. Press into the tortilla chip mixture, to evenly coat.
- Place on a baking sheet lined with foil. Repeat with the other filets.
- Bake for 12-14 minutes until fully cooked. The fish will be white and flaky.
- Squeeze a wedge of lime over fish for serving.
Amount Per ServingCalories 386Total Fat 11gSaturated Fat 3gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 6gCholesterol 118mgSodium 479mgCarbohydrates 19gFiber 2gSugar 1gProtein 53g