Tortilla Crusted Tilapia – Mild white fish coated in a Mexican inspired tortilla crust. Baked until crispy and perfectly flakey!
Years ago my mom told me about this tortilla crusted fish that she found in the frozen section at Costco. I tried it and it was good, but I thought it would be so much better to spruce up and add more flavor to at home.
And oh my is it full of flavor, you can make it spicy and it is anything but boring!
I like to use tilapia when I made this recipe, but you really could use any mild white fish. Tilapia is just easy to find and is relatively inexpensive at the store. Plus it is super mild and will take on the flavor of whatever you season it with.
And we all know I am a huge fan of Mexican Recipes, so it should come as no surprise that it is coated in a taco spiced crunchy tortilla chip coating.
How To Make Tortilla Crusted Tilapia
- Start by setting up a quick and easy breading station. You want one bowl for the crushed tortilla chips and the spices. A second bowl for the egg white and water that will coat the fish. And a third bowl of flour.
- Take a piece of fish and gently dredge it in the flour. You want to make sure it is well coated and then gently shake off the excess.
- After the flour place it in the egg white and get it evenly coated. Then press into the tortilla crumb until everything is well covered.
- Place on a baking sheet and bake for about 12 minutes. It will depend on how thick your piece of fish is.
- Remove from the oven and serve with lime wedges.
What Fish To Use
Tilapia is super mild and works really well in this recipe. But you could also use:
More Easy Dinner Ideas
- Homemade Hamburger Helper Lasagna
- Fish Tacos
- Chili’s Margarita Grilled Chicken
- Grilled Swordfish
- Indian Lentil Soup
- Easy Baked Cod
- 1 1/2 cup crushed tortilla chips
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 4 Tilipia filets, (or other white fish)
- 1 egg white
- 3 Tbls water
- 1/3 cup flour
- Lime Wedges for serving
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- In a bowl mix together tortilla chips with all of the seasonings. Whisk together the egg white and water in a separate bowl. Place the flour in a third bowl.
- Dredge 1 filet in the flour, dust off any extra. Run the filet through the egg white. Press into the tortilla chip mixture, to evenly coat.
- Place on a baking sheet lined with foil. Repeat with the other filets.
- Bake for 12-14 minutes until fully cooked. The fish will be white and flaky.
- Squeeze a wedge of lime over fish for serving.
Amount Per ServingCalories 386Total Fat 11gSaturated Fat 3gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 6gCholesterol 118mgSodium 479mgCarbohydrates 19gFiber 2gSugar 1gProtein 53g
I created a fun group on Facebook, and I would love for you to join us! It’s a place where you can share YOUR favorite recipes, ask questions, and see what’s new at Dinners, Dishes and Desserts (so that you never miss a new recipe)! If you’d like to check it out, you can request to join HERE.
Be sure to follow me on Instagram and tag #dinnersdishes so I can see all the wonderful DINNERS, DISHES, AND DESSERTS recipes YOU make!
Connect with Dinners, Dishes, and Desserts!
Be sure to follow me on my social media, so you never miss a post!