I am taking a break from Christmas Week today to be part of the Great Food Blogger Cookie Swap. This is my first year participating, but the 3rd year it has been around. The organizers Lindsay and Julie out did themselves this year. Each participant paid $4 to be a part of the swap. We then sent out 1 dozen cookies to 3 different people. So you then receivee 1 dozen cookies from 3 different people. This year the corporate sponsors were OXO, Dixie Sugar Crystals, Grandma’s Molasses, and Gold Medal Flour. Each company matched our donations, so we raised over $13,000 for Cookies for Kid’s Cancer.
The Baking Fairy sent me Dark Chocolate Mint Biscotti. I am always hesitant about biscotti, but this was really good – I love chocolate and mint together. I received cookies that are similar to Mexican wedding cookies Cooking & Beer. I am curious to check out the recipe today, and see what they really are. How fun to find out that Justine from Cooking & Beer only lives about an hour from me! And finally, Life Tastes Like Food sent Chocolate Nutella Cookies. Now that is the way to win me over!
As for the cookies I sent? I went with a fudgy chocolate cookie with a hint of peppermint, and mixed in some White Chocolate Peppermint M&M’s. Personally, I loved them! I had a few of my friends sample them, and they all loved them. I have another cookie exchange this Sunday night, and I think I am going to make these. They are pretty easy to make, and you make them in stages. Mix up the dough, let it chill and bake. I think the longer you let the dough chill, the better the cookies are. So on Friday I will mix the dough, and then bake them Sunday for the cookie exchange.
- 1/2 cup butter, , softened
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 cups semi-sweet chocolate, , melted
- 3 eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp peppermint extract
- 1 3/4 cup flour
- 1 cup White Chocolate Peppermint M&M's
- 1/3 cup cocoa powder
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- In the bowl for an electric mixer beat together butter, sugar, and brown sugar until fluffy (about 2 minutes). Add eggs, vanilla, peppermint, and melted chocolate. Mix until well combined, scraping the sides as necessary. In a small bowl whisk together flour, cocoa powder, baking powder and salt until combined. Slowly add flour mixture to chocolate mixture until combined. Fold in M&M's. Cover dough, and refrigerate for at least 2 hours, up to 36 hours.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Scoop balls of dough onto a baking sheet. Top with a few extra M&M's. Bake for 10 minutes. The edges will be set.
- Remove from oven, and cook for a few minutes before removing to a wire rack.
Amount Per ServingCalories 163 Total Fat 8g Saturated Fat 5g Trans Fat 0g Unsaturated Fat 3g Cholesterol 23mg Sodium 80mg Carbohydrates 23g Net Carbohydrates 0g Fiber 1g Sugar 17g Sugar Alcohols 0g Protein 2g