Whole Wheat Chocolate Chip Cookies – Soft and chewy cookies that just happen to be a little better for you. No one will ever know there is no butter and these are whole wheat!
We have actually had sun the past two days, and some of our snow is melting! My husband calls it the “solar plow”. It appears, that no matter how much snow we get, they do not plow our neighborhood streets. We live in town, in a normal neighborhood. We have gotten up to about a foot of snow, over the period of 2 days, and not once has a plow been through. Needless to say, it can be kind of dicey having to get out of the neighborhood. So yesterday it was amazing to actually get to drive on the actual road (in parts), while picking my son up from school. Hopefully by the weekend, the road, at the very least will be melted.
I wasn’t going to post this recipe today, but I know a certain someone has been waiting for it. I have had the idea in my head for awhile that I wanted to do a “clean” or healthier version of chocolate chip cookies. So a couple weeks ago when I got an email from my husband asking if I needed to do any baking that day, because there was a meeting at work that he would like to bring something to, I jumped to make these cookies. I have been experimenting with a little bit of healthier baking lately and LouAna had sent me a jar of their coconut oil, so I already had all that I needed in the house.
Instead of butter, I used coconut oil. I used coconut palm sugar for the brown sugar, and whole cane sugar for the regular granulated sugar. Finally I used white whole wheat flour. Let me tell you, no one had a clue these were anything but a great chocolate chip cookie. I believe the comment “These taste like they were made by angels” was said. My husband said there were only 6 people there, and they were gone within hours. Don’t let the whole wheat or the word healthier scare you, these are incredible, and need to be made!
- 1 cup coconut oil
- 3/4 cup coconut palm sugar
- 3/4 cup whole cane sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 2 cups white whole wheat flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tsp cornstarch
- 1 (12 oz) package semi-sweet chocolate chips
- In the bowl of an electric mixer combine coconut oil and both sugars. Mix until well combined and fluffy, about 2 minutes.
- Add eggs and vanilla, mixing until well blended.
- Add flour, baking soda, salt, and cornstarch. Mix until just combined. Fold in chocolate chips.
- Store in fridge for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Scoop balls of dough onto a baking sheet. Press dough down slightly. Bake for 9-10 minutes. Do not over bake.
- Let cool for a few minutes before removing to a wire rack.
Amount Per ServingCalories 119 Total Fat 7g Saturated Fat 5g Trans Fat 0g Unsaturated Fat 1g Cholesterol 10mg Sodium 104mg Carbohydrates 14g Net Carbohydrates 0g Fiber 1g Sugar 9g Sugar Alcohols 0g Protein 1g