Spiced Mulled Wine - a winter favorite! Warm spices with a hint of orange make for a great holiday drink.
Keyword: mulled wine
Calories: 161 kcal
- 1 large orange , cut into thin slices
- 10 black peppercorns
- 5 whole cloves
- 3 cardamom pods , lightly crushed
- 3 whole allspice
- 2 cinnamon sticks (3 inches long)
- 1/2 vanilla bean , split lengthwise
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 2 bottles (750 ml) zinfandel or other dry red wine
Preheat oven to 200 degrees.
Arrange orange slices on a wire rack. Place on a baking sheet and bake for 3 hours, or until dried.
On a double layer of cheesecloth combine peppercorns, cloves, cardamom pods, allspice, cinnamon sticks, and vanilla bean. Gather up the ends of the cheesecloth, and tie shut.
In a large pan combine orange slices, the spice packet, sugar, orange juice and win. Heat over medium heat to a simmer. Reduce heat to low and cook for 30 minutes.
Remove the spice packet to serve.
Recipe from Cooking Light
If serving out of slow cooker; after you remove the spice packet pour into a slow cooker and heat on low.
Spiced Mulled Wine
Amount Per Serving
% Daily Value*
Vitamin A 30IU1%
Vitamin C 7.1mg9%
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.