I can’t believe it is mid August already! Last week we were in Wisconsin visiting family. Every day was jam packed with activities and people to see. We had to get up at 4am on Saturday to make our flight home. Then on Sunday we went hiking up in the mountains with friends; 10 miles, 2 hail storms, 3 separate rain storms, a few scrapes and bruises, not reaching our final destination, and 2 moose sitings (one 20 feet in front of us on the trail). It was quite the adventure, and something I think we will always remember. We capped off the day with some much needed ice cream!
You may remember last year when I created a Chorizo and Egg Breakfast Wrap as part of the Mezzetta “Make that Sandwich” contest. I am back again this year with a new sandwich! I am not actually entering the contest, but you can! The winner gets $25,000, and two runners up with each receive $1,000! That is some serious incentive to go create a sandwich, don’t you think?
For my Cheesy Steak Sandwich I kept things simple. I used sirloin for the steak, but you can use whatever your favorite cut is. Ribeye would be incredible here! Pepper Jack cheese for a little spice, as well as as a few peppers and onions. Finally a good smear of Mezzetta Savory Garlic Spread and a drizzle of Mezzetta Cilantro & Parsley Chimichurri Spread. I love chimichurri on steak, so it seemed like the perfect topping to a steak sandwich.
My husband went crazy for this sandwich. I didn’t expect him to like it quite as much as he did. I think he has had it at least 3 times now. Plus that Garlic Spread is so good to add flavor to just about anything. Mix in a little with your mashed potatoes or rice. Use it on garlic bread, add some to the pan when cooking chicken. Seriously, we are kind of addicted.
So go come up with your own sandwich idea. Then head over to Mezzetta and enter to win $25,000!
- 1 pound sirloin steak, , thinly sliced
- 2 Tbls olive oil
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 1 green pepper, , thinly sliced
- 1 small onion, , thinly sliced
- 4 slices pepper jack cheese
- 4 bakery style hot dog buns
- 2 Tbls Mezzetta Savory Garlic Spread
- 2 Tbls Mezzetta Cilantro & Parsley Chimichurri Spread
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- In a large skillet heat 1 Tbls olive oil over medium high heat. Add green peppers and onion. Saute for 6-8 minutes, until soft and tender. Remove from the pan.
- Return the pan to the heat and add the rest of the olive oil. Season sirloin with salt and pepper. Add thinly sliced sirloin to the pan. Cook for about 5 minutes until browned. Remove from the pan.
- Slice the hot dog buns. Place a slice of cheese on the bun, and set on a baking sheet. Bake for 3-5 minute until the cheese starts to melt. Remove from oven, and spread the garlic spread onto each sandwich. Top with steak as well as peppers and onions. Place back in the oven for just a couple minutes to make sure everything is warm. Remove and drizzle with chimichurri
Serving Size4 Servings
Amount Per ServingCalories 622Total Fat 36gSaturated Fat 13gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 19gCholesterol 129mgSodium 598mgCarbohydrates 31gFiber 2gSugar 6gProtein 43g
Nutrition Disclaimer: All information presented on this site is intended for informational purposes only. I am not a certified nutritionist and any nutritional information shared on dinnersdishesanddesserts.com should only be used as a general guideline.