Monday is here, and I am ready to cheer you up with some Nutella! After such a great weekend, I need a little pick me up. We had gorgeous weather. There was double header flag football games, a football team picnic, seeds and plants were put in the garden, and lots of basketball was played (my 8 year got a basketball hoop for his birthday). So today definitely calls for Nutella
Today is the May #chocolateparty! This month the pairing was chocolate and strawberries. Chocolate dipped strawberries immediately came to mind, but I decided to think outside of the box. Strawberry shortcake is one of my families favorite desserts, once strawberry season starts. We usually only make it once a year with fresh strawberries that we pick. But I started early this year 🙂 And I added Nutella 🙂
This time I used those dessert cake cups you find in the produce section at the grocery store. I originally wanted to use angle food cake or pound cake, but I am am trying to eat healthier, and the cups were small portions for only 80 calories each. But you can use whatever you like; including making your own shortcake. If you use the store bought cake, this comes together in just a few minutes, and doesn’t involve the oven! Perfect for those hot summer days, which I am sure are right around the corner!
- 4 mini angel food cake cups
- 1 1/2 cups strawberries, , sliced
- 2 Tbls sugar
- 1/4 cup Nutella
- 1/3 Whipped Cream
- Mix together strawberries and the sugar. Let sit for 10 minutes.
- Slice dessert cake cups in half, horizontally.
- Spread approximately 1 Tbls of Nutella on the bottom half of each cake cup. Top with a few strawberries.
- Place the other half of the cake cup over the Nutella and strawberries. Spoon over additional berries. Top with a dollop of whipped cream
Serving Size4 Servings
Amount Per ServingCalories 179 Total Fat 5g Saturated Fat 4g Trans Fat 0g Unsaturated Fat 0g Cholesterol 0mg Sodium 216mg Carbohydrates 32g Net Carbohydrates 0g Fiber 2g Sugar 13g Sugar Alcohols 0g Protein 3g