Monday is here, and I am ready to cheer you up with some Nutella! After such a great weekend, I need a little pick me up. We had gorgeous weather. There was double header flag football games, a football team picnic, seeds and plants were put in the garden, and lots of basketball was played (my 8 year got a basketball hoop for his birthday). So today definitely calls for Nutella
Today is the May #chocolateparty! This month the pairing was chocolate and strawberries. Chocolate dipped strawberries immediately came to mind, but I decided to think outside of the box. Strawberry shortcake is one of my families favorite desserts, once strawberry season starts. We usually only make it once a year with fresh strawberries that we pick. But I started early this year 🙂 And I added Nutella 🙂
This time I used those dessert cake cups you find in the produce section at the grocery store. I originally wanted to use angle food cake or pound cake, but I am am trying to eat healthier, and the cups were small portions for only 80 calories each. But you can use whatever you like; including making your own shortcake. If you use the store bought cake, this comes together in just a few minutes, and doesn’t involve the oven! Perfect for those hot summer days, which I am sure are right around the corner!
- 4 mini angel food cake cups
- 1 1/2 cups strawberries, , sliced
- 2 Tbls sugar
- 1/4 cup Nutella
- 1/3 Whipped Cream
- Mix together strawberries and the sugar. Let sit for 10 minutes.
- Slice dessert cake cups in half, horizontally.
- Spread approximately 1 Tbls of Nutella on the bottom half of each cake cup. Top with a few strawberries.
- Place the other half of the cake cup over the Nutella and strawberries. Spoon over additional berries. Top with a dollop of whipped cream
Serving Size4 Servings
Amount Per ServingCalories 179Total Fat 5gSaturated Fat 4gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 0gCholesterol 0mgSodium 216mgCarbohydrates 32gFiber 2gSugar 13gProtein 3g