We are all busy these days. Moms with young kids, parents juggling work, kids, practices, etc. I don’t know how all the people who have to travel for their jobs all of the time, manage to keep up with things. I am so thankful to be able to work from home, and be here before and after school for my son. He is involved in plenty of activities, so our nights can get crazy! So I always need a few tricks up my sleeve to get dinner on the table quickly.
My latest trick involves Progresso Recipe Starters. They are basic sauces that can bring dinner together in a short time, with just a few extra ingredients. Most of the recipes call for just a handful of ingredients, that are common pantry staples. So on those busy nights, you can have dinner on the table in 30 minutes with minimal work. Plus there are so many options, things never get old.
All of the packages come up a few recipes ideas, or you can go to the Recipe Starters page, for even more ideas. I used the Fire Roasted Tomato kit to come up with a recipe of my own. The sauce is mixed with browned Italian sausage and a few seasonings. It is then poured over a bed of polenta, topped with cheese and baked. Quick, easy, and the whole family loved it! Plus the leftovers were great for lunch the next day. The other night I used the garlic cream sauce and mixed it with a can of crushed tomatoes for a great creamy pasta sauce.
- 2 cups milk
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 cup polenta (corn grits)
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 pound bulk Italian Sausage
- 1 package Fire Roasted Tomato Recipe Starter
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1 cup Mozzarella cheese, shredded
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a saucepan heat milk and chicken broth over medium heat. Stir in polenta and salt. Cook for about 15 minutes or until thick and creamy, stirring frequently.
- Pour into an 9 inch square casserole dish.
- Meanwhile brown Italian sausage in a large skillet until cooked through. Stir in fire roasted tomato sauce, oregano, and Italian seasoning. Pour over the polenta. Top with cheese.
- Bake for 10 minute or until the cheese is melted.
- Serve immediately
Compensation was provided by General Mills via Federated Media. The opinions expressed herein are those of the author and are not indicative of the opinions or positions of General Mills.
For more easy dinner ideas, visit http://progresso.com/Products/Recipe-Starters