This is my last #SundaySupper for a few weeks. With us going on vacation, and missing out on the fun Twitter chat, I am taking a break. While we are gone, my brother is house-sitting for us. He recently moved to the area, and isn’t quite settled yet. Lucky for him, I have a stash of these pot stickers in the freezer! Today is going to be a great #SundaySupper, so I am really glad I got to participate.
If you are blogger, I am sure you know Jaden from Steamy Kitchen. If you aren’t a blogger, she is one you might want to get to know. She has an amazing site with easy, healthy, Asian recipes. She has also put together a cookbook that gives the home cook quick easy meals, that are healthy and delicious. From the #SundaySupper team 20 people received copies of her new book; Steamy Kitchen Healthy Asian Favorites, and are sharing a recipe from the book. The rest of us picked a recipe from her site to try.
Obviously I picked Pan Fried Potstickers. There used to be a brand of frozen potstickers I enjoyed, but I haven’t been able to find them in years. When I saw this recipe, I knew I had to try it. The potstickers definitely did not disappoint. The filling was so full of flavor, and the dipping sauce was a great compliment. They were a little tedious to fill, but really the meal came together very quickly. My super picky 7 year old even liked them, and that is saying a lot! I did not cook all of the potstickers, so I froze the uncooked ones for later. I put them on a baking sheet for an hour until frozen, and then transferred to a freezer bag. It will make a quick weeknight meal, if my brother doesn’t find them first 🙂
- 1 package of frozen dumpling skins , defrosted
- 12 oz raw shrimp , peeled and deveined.
- 3 green onions , roughly chopped
- 1 can (5oz) bamboo shoots, drained
- 1/2 pound ground pork
- 2 Tbls soy sauce
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 Tbls cornstarch
- 1 tsp fresh ginger , grated
- 1 Tbls rice wine (or sherry)
- 1 Tbls cornstarch
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 tsp chili garlic sauce
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 2 tsp sesame oil
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp rice wine vinegar
- Combine shrimp, bamboo shoots, and green onions in a food processor. Pulse a few times, until the shrimp is coarsely chopped.
- In a large bowl mix together the shrimp mixture with the pork, soy sauce, salt, cornstarch, ginger, and rice wine. Mix until well combined.
- In a small bowl dissolve the cornstarch in the water.
- Spoon about 1 tsp of filling into the center of each dumpling skin. Brush a little bit of the slurry around the edges of the dumpling. Fold over, and press to seal. Place the dumpling on a baking sheet, so that the bottom is flat. Continue with the rest of the filling. Cover the dumplings with a damp towel or plastic wrap so they don't dry out.
- To prepare dipping sauce, mix all of the ingredients together in a small bowl. Set aside until ready to serve.
- Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium high heat. Add 1 Tbls canola oil, heat until very hot, but not smoking. You will have to cook the dumplings in batches. Place 8-10 dumplings in the pan, so that they are not touching. Cook for 1 minute, check the bottom to see they are getting golden brown. Pour in 1/4 cup of water, cover immediately, and reduce heat to medium. Let cook for 3 minutes. Remove lid, and cook for an additional 1-2 minutes until all of the water has cooked off. Remove from pan, and repeat with the remaining dumplings.
- Serve with the prepared dipping sauce.
Join the Sunday Supper Team along with Jaden Hair this Sunday at 7pm Eastern Time on twitter, just follow the #SundaySupper hashtag. We are giving away 20 copies of Steamy Kitchen’s Healthy Asian Favorites Cookbook. You don’t want to miss this week’s #SundaySupper Event!
Here is the list of #SundaySupper Contributors who will be giving away a copy of Steamy Kitchen’s Healthy Asian Favorites Cookbook and the recipes they will be sharing:
Tofu-Mushroom Miso Soup
Crispy Rice Patties
Thai Larb Lettuce Chicken Cups
Sake Steamed Mussels
Salmon Honey Teriyaki
Korean Beef Bites
We are sharing more Steamy Kitchen inspired recipes. The following Sunday Supper Contributors are joining us with some of their favorite recipes from the Steamy Kitchen website:
- Kung Pao Chicken by Cravings of a Lunatic
- Prime Rib Roast with Miso au jus by The Urban Mrs.
- Kickin’ Tequila Shrimp by Gourmet Drizzles
- Korean Beef Rice Bowl by Crispy Bits & Burnt Ends
- Pan Fried Shrimp and Pork Fried Potstickers by Dinners, Dishes and Desserts
- Shrimp Curry by Ninja Baking