Chicken Lo Mein – make your own take out at home with this super easy Chinese chicken lo mein recipe. Full of lots of veggies, 20 minutes, and dinner is done!
As you already know I am completely obsessed with easy dinner recipes. One pan meals are kind of my thing. Cheeseburger Macaroni Skillet is on constant rotation around here. It just may be the number one requested meal by my son.
I am also kind of obsessed with Asian style noodles lately. Chow Mein Noodles with Chicken is hugely popular on the blog, so I know you guys love it too. After all the crazy comments when I posted the video on Facebook, I decided to come up with another version using a different pasta.
What is Chicken Lo Mein
Lo Mein is traditional Chinese dish that is made with noodles, vegetables, and then some kind of protein. It can be pork, chicken, beef or even seafood. In the US we have changed it quite a bit to make it a very popular take out dish. I was paging through my Cooking Light a few months ago and saw a Lo Mein recipe that had lots of veggies and tofu in it. I am not a huge tofu fan, so I thought I could use chicken instead. But it was so simple, I just had to try it.
Plus anything with soy sauce, like these Garlic Beef Noodle Bowls, are totally a hit with my family. And if it has hoisin sauce in it, even better. Five Spice Pork Lo Mein has been a family favorite for years and years.
For this easy Chicken Lo Mein recipe I used linguine. You can really use any noodle you want. You can even buy lo mein noodles; my store happened to be out of them, so I didn’t use them. But udon, spaghetti, or even ramen noodles would work. And if you want lower carb this Egg Roll Stir Fry is such a great choice.
You cook the chicken for this lo mein, then saute the veggies for a few minutes. All while the pasta is cooking. So by the time the pasta is done, you are adding the sauce and pretty much ready to eat. So much better than take out! Faster, tastier, and definitely healthier. This Orange Chicken is another on that needs to be tried soon!
How to Make Chicken Lo Mein
- It is best to use a large skillet when making this. That lets all the meat and veggies cook quickly and evenly.
- Start by heating the oil in a large skillet. Add the chicken, garlic, ginger and soy sauce. You will this for just a few minutes until the chicken is browned. Then remove from the pan so it doesn’t get over cooked while the veggies cook.
- Next add in the mushrooms and onions, because they take the longest to cook. If you wanted to use broccoli, asparagus or other veggies add them at this time. You can really use whatever vegetables you like and have on hand.
- The cabbage and carrots don’t take very long to cook, so after the other veggies are soft you add these in and mix everything together. They will start to wilt down almost immediately.
- Pour the sauce over everything and mix it all together.
- Then you add the chicken back to the pan and let the sauce coat everything together and thicken slightly.
- Finally toss in the cooked pasta that you are using and mix it all together. It comes together in about 20 minutes total and is a great meal for any night of the week!
I had chicken lo mein from a Chinese restaurant for the first time about a month ago, and totally fell in love. I have to say, I think I might like their sauce a little better, but the mushrooms in my version have totally converted me. Now to work out the secret to combining the two! I will take mushrooms in any form I can get them! Easy Sauteed Mushrooms is one of my favorites. My guys aren’t always a big fan, but in this lo mein, they don’t even notice them.
So if you are looking for an easy make your own take out recipe, this Chicken Lo Mein will definitely please your family. So easy to make, ready in minutes, and uses ingredients you can find any just about any grocery store!
I created a fun group on Facebook, and I would love for you to join us! It’s a place where you can share YOUR favorite recipes, ask questions, and see what’s new at Dinners, Dishes, and Desserts (so that you never miss a new recipe)! If you’d like to check it out, you can request to join HERE.
Be sure to follow me on Instagram and tag #dinnersdishes so I can see all the wonderful DINNERS, DISHES, AND DESSERTS recipes YOU make!
Connect with Dinners, Dishes, and Desserts!
Be sure to follow me on my social media, so you never miss a post!
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases. Nutrition Disclaimer: All information presented on this site is intended for informational purposes only. I am not a certified nutritionist and any nutritional information shared on dinnersdishesanddesserts.com should only be used as a general guideline.
Serving Size 1
Amount Per ServingCalories 437Total Fat 12gSaturated Fat 2gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 9gCholesterol 97mgSodium 1450mgCarbohydrates 36gFiber 3gSugar 4gProtein 44g
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Disclaimer: All information presented on this site is intended for informational purposes only. I am not a certified nutritionist and any nutritional information shared on dinnersdishesanddesserts.com should only be used as a general guideline.