Shrimp Summer Rolls with Peanut Butter Dipping Sauce – a super refreshing, cool, crisp and great dinner to have this summer. Works as an appetizer or a meal.
One thing I love to order at restaurants is summer rolls. They are always so fresh, light, and full of great flavor. Plus they have the best dipping sauces! Typically you can find a soy sauce based dipping sauce or peanut butter, and I have to say the creamy peanut-y version is always my favorite.
These summer rolls are loaded with juicy shrimp, lots of fresh veggies and are super easy to make at home. Great for a hot summer night when you want to do minimal cooking.
What’s The Difference Between Summer Rolls and Spring Rolls
Summer rolls are made from soaked rice paper and are not cooked. The fillings are usually raw vegetables with some kind of cooked meat. Spring rolls are normally fried or baked and made with more of an egg roll type wrapper. The filling of a spring roll is often times cooked as well.
What’s In Summer Rolls
There are lots of options of different vegetables and proteins to use.
- Bell Pepper
- Mint Leaves
- Rice Vermicelli Noodles
This recipe for summer rolls obviously uses shrimp, but you could really mix that up to whatever you have or enjoy.
- Tofu (to make it vegan)
How to Make Spring Rolls
- Start by getting the shrimp ready. Add the shrimp and the rest of the marinade ingredients to a bowl and mix them until everything is evenly combined. Let that sit for about 15 minutes, while you make the sauce and prep the rest of the ingredients.
- To make the sauce just whisk all of the ingredients together in a small bowl until it is nice and smooth. Taste and adjust the honey if you want it sweeter.
- Next cook the shrimp – just heat a large skillet over high heat and cook for a few minutes on each side until they are pink and cooked through.
- The rice paper you buy is dried, all you need to do is rehydrate it. Working with 1 piece at a time, place the paper in a bowl of lukewarm water for about 30 seconds until it is pliable.
- Then place the rice paper on a board in front of you and arrange the filling ingredients in the center of the paper. Then roll it up like a burrito!
- Set aside, and continue rolling until you have used up all the shrimp (fill each roll with 2 shrimp).
- They are best served cold with the peanut dipping sauce.
Can You Make Summer Rolls Ahead
Yes, you can. Just make sure to cover them with a damp towel to ensure they don’t stick together.
Store any leftover rolls in an air tight container for up to 3 days in the fridge. Unfortunately the rice paper does not hold up to freezing, so you want to only make what you will eat in a few days.
Can You Fry Summer Rolls
No, the rice paper is different than a traditional egg roll or even spring roll wrapper. It would just absorb the oil and would be a soggy mess. Air Fryer Egg Rolls are a fun option if you like the classic egg rolls but want to avoid deep frying.
There are 2 recipes included below for dipping sauces. One is a soy sauce base, so it is lighter. The other is a peanut butter base, which is creamy and delicious.
You can try one or both of them, they both work really well, it really is just up to you for what you are in the mood for.
More Tasty Asian Recipes
- Vietnamese Egg Rolls
- Stir Fry Noodles
- Chow Mein Noodles with Chicken
- Chicken Lo Mein
- Kung Pao Chicken
- Garlic Beef Noodle Bowls
- Easy Cashew Chicken
- 12 medium shrimps, peeled and deveined
- 1 Tbsp garlic, minced
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- ½ tsp grounded dried red chili, optional
- 1 tsp honey
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
Peanut Butter Sauce
- ⅓ cup cream peanut butter
- 1 tsp ginger powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp low sodium soy sauce
- ½ cup honey
Summer Rolls Fillings
- 6 round rice wrappers
- ½ red bell peppers, sliced
- 2 Tbsp mint leaves
- 2 Tbsp cilantro leaves
- 1 small carrot, peeled and sliced
- 2 inches of a medium cucumber, sliced
- 2 ounces rice vermicelli
Soy Dipping Sauce
- 2 Tbsp green onions, finely chopped
- 1 Tbsp mirin
- 1 Tbsp lime juice
- 1 Tbsp sesame oil
- 2 1/2 tsp low-sodium soy sauce
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1/4 tsp fish sauce
- In a large bowl combine the shrimp with the rest of the ingredients. Toss until they are evenly coated. Cover and let stand at room temperature for 15 minutes.
- In a small bowl, add peanut butter, ginger, garlic, cayenne pepper, soy sauce and honey. Stir until nice and smooth. Taste and adjust the honey if you want it sweeter or add more cayenne if you like it spicy.
- Add all of the ingredients to a small bowl and whisk until smooth.
Prepare the shrimp marinade.
Peanut Butter Sauce.
Soy Dipping Sauce
- Heat a large skillet over medium high heat. Add all of the shrimp and marinade to the pan. Cook for 2-3 minutes on each side until the shrimp is pink and cooked through.
- Fill a medium or large bowl with lukewarm water. Working with 1 piece of rice paper at a time, soak rice paper until soft, about 30 seconds.
- Place it on a wooden cutting board. Place fillings in the middle and close the bottom side first. Bring the left and right side together and start rolling the rice paper gently. With your fingers push the fillings towards you. Keep rolling and seal.
- Repeat until no shrimp is left. 2 shrimps per roll.
- Serve cold with the one or both of the dipping sauces
Amount Per Serving Calories 507Total Fat 17gSaturated Fat 5gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 11gCholesterol 36mgSodium 447mgCarbohydrates 80gFiber 2gSugar 29gProtein 10g
Nutrition Disclaimer: All information presented on this site is intended for informational purposes only. I am not a certified nutritionist and any nutritional information shared on dinnersdishesanddesserts.com should only be used as a general guideline.
I created a fun group on Facebook, and I would love for you to join us! It’s a place where you can share YOUR favorite recipes, ask questions, and see what’s new at Dinners, Dishes and Desserts (so that you never miss a new recipe)! If you’d like to check it out, you can request to join HERE.
Be sure to follow me on Instagram and tag #dinnersdishes so I can see all the wonderful DINNERS, DISHES, AND DESSERTS recipes YOU make!
Be sure to follow me on my social media, so you never miss a post!