Southwest Egg Rolls – Filled with chicken, corn, black beans, cheese, and spices. These are super easy to make and served with a cool ranch dipping sauce.
I think we have all been to Chili’s and had their Southwest Egg Rolls. They are super crispy, deep fried deliciousness that is filled with chicken, beans, cheese, and plenty of Mexican spices. I think theirs are actually made with fried flour tortillas, but I love the twist with egg roll wrappers to make them extra delicious!
To make these egg rolls a little better for you, we are going to make them in the air fryer! You can bake them if you don’t have an air fryer, or if you want to go all out, you can definitely fry them in vegetable oil. No matter what you do, they will be tasty.
What You’ll Need
- Black Beans
- Mexican Style Cheese
- Chili Powder
- Garlic Powder
- Egg Roll Wrappers
How To Make Southwest Egg Rolls
- Preheat your air fryer to 375º F. If you are using an oven, preheat to 425º F. Or if you want to fry them, fill a heavy bottom pot with 2 inches of oil and heat to 375º F.
- In a bowl mix together cooked chicken, cheese, black beans, corn, and all of the spices.
- Then it is time to roll. Start by placing a wrapper on the counter in front of you. I like to place them on the diagonal so the point is facing me.
- Place about 1/4 – 1/3 cup of the filling into the center of the wrapper. Just be careful not to over fill them or they will not roll up properly and you will lose filling when you cook them.
- The dip your finger in water and run it around the edge of the whole thing. This helps to seal everything together, so don’t skip this step. Next fold the point that is closest to you over the filling.
- The you really just wrap it up like a mini burrito. Fold the sides over, gently pressing down as you fold them so they stick together. Then roll it up! Set them aside while you finish filling the rest of them.
- Brush the outsides with the egg wash and place in the fryer. Be sure none of the rolls are touching.
- Cook for 10 minutes in the air fryer or oven, turning over halfway through. If you are frying, fry for about 2 minutes each side until crispy and golden.
- When finished, serve immediately with the Tex Mex Ranch.
If you want to see step by step pictures on how to roll egg rolls, check out my traditional Air Fryer Egg Roll Recipe for all the tips and tricks.
What To Dip Them In
You really can serve them with a few different things. Homemade Guacamole, or Salsa would be delicious. But I really like this Tex-Mex Ranch.
Here is what you need, and then you just mix it all together until it is smooth and you are ready to go!
- Sour Cream
- Ranch Seasoning Mix
- Lime Juice
- Green Onion
How To Store Leftover Egg Rolls
Freezing – Take any uncooked or cooked and cooled egg rolls and place them on a baking tray. Put that in the freezer for a couple hours and then transfer the egg rolls to a freezer safe plastic bag.
Refrigerate – Store egg rolls in an air tight container in the fridge for 3-4 days.
Reheating – You can either use your air fryer or your oven. For the air fryer cook at 375º F for about 10 minutes. If they are frozen, just add 1-2 minutes to your cooking time, no need to thaw them. Or place in a 350º F oven for 10-12 minutes until they are hot.
These Southwest chicken egg rolls make a delicious appetizer for any occasion or even a great dinner. The filling is loaded with chicken and vegetables, so you don’t even have to feel guilty about them.
If you like things spicy, be sure to add some jalapeno to the filling to up the heat level. You could also add a little cayenne to the ranch dipping sauce to make it a little spicy as well.
To make this recipe I used a Cosori 5.8 Qt Air Fryer. It is big enough that you can fit plenty of food in, and the basket comes out so you can easily shake, stir, or flip whatever you are making.
More Easy Appetizer Recipes
- Air Fryer Onion Rings
- Chicken Enchilada Dip
- Gyoza (Japanese Dumplings)
- Air Fryer Chicken Wings
- Best White Queso
- Refried Bean Dip
- Cheesy Sausage Wontons
- 1 cup chicken, cooked and diced
- 2 cups shredded Mexican Style cheese
- 1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can yellow corn, drained and rinsed
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp cumin
- ½ tsp paprika
- 15 egg roll wrappers
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 tsp water
Ranch Dipping Sauce
- 1 cup sour cream
- ¾ cup milk
- 2 Tbsp ranch seasoning powder
- 1 Tbsp lime juice
- 1 green onion, sliced thinly
For the Eggrolls
- Preheat the air fryer to 375º F and lightly grease the tray. If making in the oven preheat to 425º F.
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine the chicken, cheese, beans, corn, chili powder, garlic powder, cumin, and paprika.
- Place an egg roll wrapper on the surface in front of you, at an angle, so the point is facing you.
- Put about 1/4-1/3 cup of filling into the center. Dip your finger in water and moisten the outside edge of the entire wrapper.
- Fold the edge over the filling.
- Fold in both sides over the filling, gently pressing down to seal.
- Roll the egg roll up tightly. Set aside and finish with the rest of the wrappers.
- In a small bowl beat together the egg and water.
- Brush the outsides of the egg rolls with the egg wash and place in the fryer. Be sure none of the rolls are touching.
- Cook for 10 minutes, turning over halfway through.
- When finished, serve immediately with the ranch dipping sauce.
For the Ranch
- In a small mixing bowl, combine all ingredients and stir until well-incorporated.
- Set aside until ready to serve.
To Fry Egg Rolls: Fill a heavy bottom pot with 2 inches of oil. Heat to 375º F. Cook egg rolls for about 2 minutes per side until golden brown.
Amount Per Serving Calories 484Total Fat 20gSaturated Fat 10gTrans Fat 1gUnsaturated Fat 7gCholesterol 94mgSodium 926mgCarbohydrates 52gFiber 5gSugar 2gProtein 24g
Nutrition Disclaimer: All information presented on this site is intended for informational purposes only. I am not a certified nutritionist and any nutritional information shared on dinnersdishesanddesserts.com should only be used as a general guideline.
I created a fun group on Facebook, and I would love for you to join us! It’s a place where you can share YOUR favorite recipes, ask questions, and see what’s new at Dinners, Dishes and Desserts (so that you never miss a new recipe)! If you’d like to check it out, you can request to join HERE.
Be sure to follow me on Instagram and tag #dinnersdishes so I can see all the wonderful DINNERS, DISHES, AND DESSERTS recipes YOU make!
Be sure to follow me on my social media, so you never miss a post!