How to make Guacamole
- Ripe avocados are key. They will be dark in color and when you gently squeeze them they will give a little. If they are firm, let them sit a couple days. You can put them in a paper bag to quickly the ripening process if you need to.
- Spices – I like to let the taste of the avocado shine through, so I go minimal on the spices. Just salt, pepper, chili powder, and paprika. Sometimes just salt, pepper and lime juice. Depends on the mood. But fresh avocado is so good, you don’t to go overboard.
- Chunky vs smooth. This is on the smoother side, but is isn’t like a puree. I mash most of the avocado with a fork before mixing anything in. So there are still some chunks. It is smooth enough for dipping, but not creamy like an actual dip.
- Storage. You really want to make guacmole right before you are going to serve it. Avocados turn brown quickly onces they are exposed to the air. You can add in a little lime juice to slow down the process. But homemade guacmole is not something you make in the morning for dinner that night.
Mix up a batch of this to put on chicken taco burgers, dip your quesadillas in, or serve with chips. We eat it a ton at our house, especially in the summer. I hope that your family likes this guacamole recipe as much as ours does.
Mexican dinner ideas are a favorite of ours, and this gucamole recipe is a staple pretty much every time we make it. It is great on toast with an egg for breakfast or with Sheet Pan Chicken Nachos for game day. Really there is never a bad time to have guacamole.
- 2 Avocados
- 3 Tbls onion, , chopped
- 1 small tomato, , chopped
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp pepper
- Halve the avocados, and remove the pits. Using a fork mash the avocado.
- Add onion, tomato and seasonings. Mix until combined. Taste and adjust the seasoning as necessary.
All avocados are slightly different, so you might need to adjust the seasonings.
Amount Per ServingCalories 198Total Fat 15gSaturated Fat 2gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 12gCholesterol 0mgSodium 166mgCarbohydrates 17gFiber 8gSugar 5gProtein 3g
Nutrition Disclaimer: All information presented on this site is intended for informational purposes only. I am not a certified nutritionist and any nutritional information shared on dinnersdishesanddesserts.com should only be used as a general guideline.