Carne Asada Fries – french fries topped with Carne Asada, melted cheese, and guacamole! A dinner that will please even your pickiest eater!
Let’s face it, dinner can get boring. We are all busy, so we turn to the same recipes over and over again week after week. Mixing it up doesn’t have to be hard or time consuming though!
And with this carne asada fries recipe you can get your family excited about dinner around the table together!
What Are Carne Asada Fries
These fries are a speacialty in the Southwest portion of the United States. They originated in San Diego at a restaurant called Lolita’s Mexican Food, back in the 1990’s, or at least that is how the story goes.
They are traditionally shoestring French fries that are topped with carne asada, guacamole, sour cream, and cheese. Some regions will also add refried beans to the mix. And the cheese tends to vary by area as well. Some of cheddar or a blend that melts, and some have cotija on top.
What all that means to me, is you can make these your own and top with whatever your heart desires! If you love salsa, then put some on top and be happy about it.
What Steak Goes On Carne Asada Fries
You can be really flexible with this part. I have the grocery store Sprouts near me, and they have a Carne Asada mix in the meat case, so that is perfect! But I also just love to use these Steak Street Taco recipe. Super simple, just a few seasonings and that is it.
What French Fries To Use
This is where I like to make it simple and just use a bag of frozen French fries. Just follow the instructions on the package to get them hot and crispy.
You could also make homemade French fries if you have a favorite recipe, but to me, this is a quick, easy and last minute type of recipe. So I like to just use the frozen kind.
Carne Asada Fries Toppings
There are the traditional toppings mentioned above, but you really can go crazy and add what you like!
How To Make Carne Asada Fries
- Start by cooking your fries and getting them nice and crispy.
- While those are cooking get your steak ready. You can use the grill or a large skillet to sear the outside and cook it to your liking. Traditionally it is served thinly sliced, so it is easy to eat on the fries.
- Once both of those are done, top the fries with the cooked steak and cheese.
- Bake just long enough for the cheese to melt and then top with your favorite toppings.
To take dinner to a new level with this Carne Asada Fries recipe. They are super fun, filling, and great for the whole family. Make a big skillet or tray of them, and the just let the whole family dig in.
More Mexican Recipes To Try
- Fish Tacos
- White Chicken Enchiladas
- Taco Stuffed Peppers
- Mexican Pizza
- Chicken Tostadas
- Chicken Enchilada Chili
- 1 bag frozen French Fries
- 1 cup Monterey Jack cheese, shredded
- 1 pound carne asada
- Diced Tomatoes
- Sliced Jalapenos
- Sour Cream
- Cook fries according to package directions.
- Preheat grill or skillet to medium high heat. Cook carne asada for 4 minutes per side, until desired doneness. Let rest for 5 minutes. Thinly slice, against the grain.
- Top fries with cheese. Return to the oven for cheese to melt.
- Remove and top with cane asada, guacamole, tomatoes, jalapeno, and sour cream
You can buy Carne Asada at the store or use this recipe for Steak Tacos
Amount Per ServingCalories 471Total Fat 28gSaturated Fat 11gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 15gCholesterol 111mgSodium 470mgCarbohydrates 15gFiber 3gSugar 2gProtein 38g
I created a fun group on Facebook, and I would love for you to join us! It’s a place where you can share YOUR favorite recipes, ask questions, and see what’s new at Dinners, Dishes and Desserts (so that you never miss a new recipe)! If you’d like to check it out, you can request to join HERE.
Be sure to follow me on Instagram and tag #dinnersdishes so I can see all the wonderful DINNERS, DISHES, AND DESSERTS recipes YOU make!
Connect with Dinners, Dishes, and Desserts!
Be sure to follow me on my social media, so you never miss a post!