Easy Fish Tacos – a super easy, healthy, and delicious cod fish taco recipe. Topped with a fresh Mexican coleslaw, pice de gallo, and a roasted poblano fish taco sauce.
We all know that tacos and Mexican food is my thing. If you know me in real life, you know that I am always up for Mexican food and that is usually what I suggest when meeting friends for lunch or a night out. I am pretty sure the apple didn’t fall too far from the tree, because my brother is the same way. He actually came up with this recipe years ago, and we have been making it ever since! The poblano sauce for the fish tacos makes them over the top amazing!
The nice thing about this fish taco recipe is how easy it is! I know the recipe card makes it look like it is super long and involved but it isn’t! Trust me on this! If you don’t want to make fresh pico de gallo, but have your favorite salsa on hand. Go for it. If you don’t want to make coleslaw and have some shredded lettuce to use up instead, that is perfectly fine. The sauce can be made ahead of time, and really the blender does almost all the work there, so it only takes a few minutes to make.
The fish is just lightly seasoned, and is flaky and perfect. I like to use corn tortillas with these for the light flavor, but if you like flour tortillas that is fine too. This recipe is really flexible and perfect for busy weeknights.
Best Fish for Fish Tacos
You want a mild white fish that will pair well with the other flavors. A strong tasting fish will over power the taco and that will be all that you taste.
- Mahi Mahi
What to Put on Fish Tacos
- Pico de Gallo
- Mexican Coleslaw
- Poblano Cream Sauce
- Cotija Cheese
- Diced Onions
How to Make Fish Tacos
I like to serve this with fresh pico de gallo, poblano cream sauce, and Mexican coleslaw. All of those can be made ahead and just waiting for you to assemble at dinner time. So the other you make them doesn’t really matter.
- Pico de Gallo is just fresh tomatoes, finely chopped onion, jalapeno, lime juice, cilantro and garlic mixed together. Store in an airtight container in the fridge until you are ready to use.
- Mexican coleslaw is my favorite on so many tacos. Toss together coleslaw mix, lime juice, mayo, salt, and cilantro until everything is evenly coated. Then just cover and place in the fridge until you are ready to serve.
- To make the poblano sauce broil poblano peppers until they are nice and charred. Immediately remove them from the oven and place in a bag or a bowl that is tightly covered with plastic wrap for about 5 minutes. Take out and then remove the skin, stem and seeds. Then add all of the ingredients to a blender and blend until smooth. Keep cold until you are ready to serve.
- To make the fish make a paste with the olive oil and spices and gently rub all over the fish. You can grill, bake or cook the fish on the stove top. Once it is cooked through and flaky you are ready to eat.
- Top tortillas with coleslaw, pice de gallo, fish, and then drizzle with the poblano fish taco sauce and any other toppings you enjoy.
This fish taco recipe is super simple to make and is light, fresh, and delicious. Everything but the fish can be made ahead of time, and the fish only takes a few minutes to cook. It is a great quick and easy weeknight meal you can get on the table in minutes.
What to Serve with Fish Tacos
So if you are looking to mix up your taco night, these are a great way! They are relatively light and healthy and full of fresh ingredients. Trust me and don’t be intimidated by the recipe below, it is so much easier than it looks! And your family is going to love them.
More Mexican Recipes to Try
- Chicken Tostadas
- Instant Pot Salsa Chicken
- Sour Cream Enchiladas
- Taco Stuffed Peppers
- Instant Pot Chicken Tacos
- Taco Pizza
- Frito Pie
- Easy Chicken Fajitas
- 1 pound cod fillets, (or other white fish)
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 Tbls olive oil
Pico de Gallo
- 1 cup tomato, chopped
- 2 Tbsp onion, finely chopped
- 1 Tbsp lime juice
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 Tbls chopped cilantro
- 1/2 jalapeno, seeded and chopped
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 2 pablano peppers
- 1 large red onion, , quartered
- 1 Tbsp white wine vinegar
- 1 lime, juiced
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup cilantro
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 cups coleslaw mix
- 2 Tbls mayo
- 1 lime, juiced
- 2 tsp chopped cilantro
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 8 corn tortillas
Make Pico de Gallo
- Mix all of the ingredients together. Store in the fridge until ready to serve.
Make Mexican Coleslaw
- In a bowl mix together mayo, lime juice, salt, and cilantro until well blended.
- Add coleslaw mix and toss until well coated. Set in fridge until ready to use.
Make Pablano Sauce.
- Preheat broiler or grill to medium high heat.
- Rub pablano peppers with olive oil. Grill or place under the broiler until slightly blackened, rotating as necessary.
- Place the pablano peppers into a plastic bag or in a bowl tightly covered with plastic wrap. Let sit for a few minutes. After a few minutes remove the peppers, and peel away the skin. Remove the seeds and stem, and place in a blender.
- Add the onion quarters and the remaining ingredients for the sauce. Blend until smooth. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Store in the fridge until ready to serve.
- Mix oil and spices into paste. Gently spread evenly over the cod.
- Grill or broil the cod for few minutes per side, until it flakes apart.
- Serve immediately over warm tortillas topped with pico de gallo, poblano sauce, Mexican coleslaw and other desired toppings.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per ServingCalories 603Total Fat 32gSaturated Fat 6gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 24gCholesterol 85mgSodium 1510mgCarbohydrates 48gFiber 7gSugar 16gProtein 32g
Nutrition Disclaimer: All information presented on this site is intended for informational purposes only. I am not a certified nutritionist and any nutritional information shared on dinnersdishesanddesserts.com should only be used as a general guideline.
I created a fun group on Facebook, and I would love for you to join us! It’s a place where you can share YOUR favorite recipes, ask questions, and see what’s new at Dinners, Dishes and Desserts (so that you never miss a new recipe)! If you’d like to check it out, you can request to join HERE.
Be sure to follow me on Instagram and tag #dinnersdishes so I can see all the wonderful DINNERS, DISHES, AND DESSERTS recipes YOU make!
Connect with Dinners, Dishes, and Desserts!
Be sure to follow me on my social media, so you never miss a post!