Sour Cream Chicken Enchiladas – Easy to make and absolutely delicious! Rich, creamy and great for any night of the week!
Mexican food is probably my favorite kind of food. I love your basic taco night, but then I love perfectly tender pork in Pork Tacos as well. It can be anything in between as well, as long as those seasonings are there, I am one happy girl. If you serve with Margaritas I am even happier!
Enchiladas have always been a favorite, but sometimes they can be tedious to assemble. Which is why Enchilada Casserole is a great idea. But these sour cream chicken enchiladas are almost as easy and so good! The creamy filling is so rich and delicious everyone is going to love them.
There are two questions that pop up all the time when I talk about enchiladas. Can enchiladas be made with corn tortillas? And wait for it… Can enchiladas be made with flour tortillas. The answer is yes to both. If you want a more authentic enchilada a corn tortilla is the way to go. But flour tortillas are tasty, so sometimes that is what you want. Go with whatever you like, they are both delicious.
How to Make Sour Cream Chicken Enchiladas
- Start with cooking your chicken. I take 1 large chicken breast and season both sides with taco seasoning. Then just bake until it is done and shred. This is great to do ahead of time and have in the fridge or even freezer waiting for you.
- Once the chicken is shredded mix together chicken, onions, sour cream and cheese. You can do this ahead of time as well. Just cover and store in the fridge for a couple days until you are ready to us it.
- Roll up the enchiladas! When everything is already mixed together they are very easy to assemble. Just scoop the filling in and roll.
- You can use store bought or homemade enchilada sauce. It is best to some sauce in the bottom of the pan before you add your enchiladas, this will help them not stick.
- How long to bake enchiladas is pretty much the same for every recipe ever. It takes about 40-45 minutes. You bake them covered with foil and when you remove the foil you want everything to be bubbling and hot, that is how you know it is done.
Can Enchiladas be Made Ahead of Time
Definitely, you can make the filling ahead of time and have that waiting for you. You can even roll them ahead of time. I personally like to add the sauce right before baking. So I would roll them (have the sauce in the bottom of the pan) and then put them in the fridge until you are ready to bake. Then just take the out, pour the sauce over the top and bake.
Can you Freeze Enchiladas
Yes. You can freeze them before you bake them and you can freeze the leftovers. You do have the option to freeze with or without sauce. Both of them works, but if you are not going to be baking them in the next month, I would hold off on adding the sauce. The sauce does tend to develop ice crystals in the freezer quicker than other things.
If you are going to freeze these enchiladas, I suggest you use corn tortillas. Flour tortillas can tend to get a little bit gummy with the sour cream filling after they are frozen and thawed. Corn tortillas just hold up a little better.
These sour cream chicken enchiladas are super easy to make and one of our favorites. If you are wondering what enchiladas can be served with look no further! Mexican Rice is one of our favorites. Tortilla chips with your favorite salsa is great. Or you can make homemade guacamole.
I like to make extra when I make this sour cream enchiladas, because they are still great reheated the next day. They are great to have stocked in the fridge for lunches for a couple days. I hope you add these to your menu and that your family loves them as much as we do.
I created a fun group on Facebook, and I would love for you to join us! It’s a place where you can share YOUR favorite recipes, ask questions, and see what’s new at Dinners, Dishes and Desserts (so that you never miss a new recipe)! If you’d like to check it out, you can request to join HERE.
Be sure to follow me on Instagram and tag #dinnersdishes so I can see all the wonderful DINNERS, DISHES, AND DESSERTS recipes YOU make!
Connect with Dinners, Dishes, and Desserts!
Be sure to follow me on my social media, so you never miss a post!
- 1 large chicken breast
- 1 Tbls taco seasoning
- 1/4 onion, diced
- 1 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 1/2 cups Cheddar Cheese
- 8 small tortillas
- 2 (10 oz) cans enchilada sauce
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Season chicken breast with taco seasoning. Bake for 25-30 minutes or until cooked through. Remove from oven and shred.
- Combine chicken, onion, sour cream and 1 cup of cheese in a bowl.
- Fill tortillas with chicken mixture. Roll, and place seam side down in a 13 x 9 baking dish that has a small amount of enchilada sauce coating the bottom.
- Pour over the rest of the enchilada sauce. Cover with foil and bake for about 35 minutes, until bubbly and warm.
- Uncover, sprinkle with remaining cheese. Return to the oven for 5 minutes, or until cheese is melted.
- Allow to cool for 5 minutes before serving (makes them easier to remove from the pan).