Homemade Enchilada Sauce – Skip buying the canned stuff, it is super easy to make at home, and so much better! Just a few simple ingredients is all it takes!
When I was growing up, enchiladas were a staple in our house. Every Sunday night we had Mexican food. It ranged as to what we made, but enchiladas made a regular appearance.
But we always used jarred sauce from the store. Only since I left home did I realize how easy it is to make your own!
What’s In Homemade Enchilada Sauce
- Vegetable Oil
- Chicken or Vegetable Broth
- Spices – chili powder, garlic powder, onion powder, oregano, cayenne, black pepper
- Dark Chocolate
Yep, there is dark chocolate in this recipe. It is 100% optional, but it adds a richness and depth of flavor to the recipe. It is not necessarily traditional, and you can not taste it, it just give it that something special.
How To Make Enchilada Sauce From Scratch
- Add your oil to a saucepan and heat over medium-high heat. Add in the flour and stir well for about a minute. You want all of the white streaks to disappear.
- Mix in your spices and cook for about another minute. The heat from the pan brings out the flavors of the spices.
- Then you gradually pour in your broth and whisk until it is completely smooth, with no lumps remaining.
- Reduce the heat and let it simmer for about 10-15 minutes until it has slightly thickened.
- During the last 5 minutes if you are using the dark chocolate add it in, and let it melt completely.
- Now it is time to taste. Add a little salt if necessary and if you like it spicy mix in some cayenne.
- It is ready to use immediately – pour over enchiladas or use in your favorite recipe.
This homemade red enchilada sauce comes together in minutes. It is great to even make ahead. You can double or triple the recipe and then freeze for next time! All pantry staple items, so I you can make this in a pinch when you don’t have the canned stuff.
How To Use Enchilada Sauce
- Ground Beef Enchiladas
- Sour Cream Enchiladas
- Enchilada Pasta Skillet
- Chicken Enchilada Chili
- Pork Enchiladas
- Hash Brown Enchilada Skillet
- Enchilada Dip
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 3 Tbsp flour
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1/4 - 1/3 cup chili powder
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- 1/2 tsp cayenne
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 2 oz dark chocolate (optional)
- On a large pan heat oil over medium heat. Stir in flour and cook for about a minute until no white streaks remain.
- Add chili powder and the rest of the spices. Stirring constantly, cook for another minute.
- Whisk in chicken broth and stir until smooth and no lumps remain.
- Simmer for 15-20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- During the last 5 minutes add the chocolate and stir to melt. Season with salt if necessary.
Start with 1/4 cup chili powder, and taste to see if you need more.
You will NOT taste the chocolate, it just gives it a richness and depth of flavor
Amount Per Serving Calories 164Total Fat 13gSaturated Fat 3gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 9gCholesterol 3mgSodium 516mgCarbohydrates 11gFiber 2gSugar 5gProtein 2g
Nutrition Disclaimer: All information presented on this site is intended for informational purposes only. I am not a certified nutritionist and any nutritional information shared on dinnersdishesanddesserts.com should only be used as a general guideline.
I created a fun group on Facebook, and I would love for you to join us! It’s a place where you can share YOUR favorite recipes, ask questions, and see what’s new at Dinners, Dishes and Desserts (so that you never miss a new recipe)! If you’d like to check it out, you can request to join HERE.
Be sure to follow me on Instagram and tag #dinnersdishes so I can see all the wonderful DINNERS, DISHES, AND DESSERTS recipes YOU make!
Connect with Dinners, Dishes, and Desserts!
Be sure to follow me on my social media, so you never miss a post!