Slow Cooker Black Beans – dried black beans that are cooked in the crock pot all day. Perfectly seasoned and cooked until soft and delicious.
Black beans are kind of a staple with Mexican food. These Homemade Refried Beans are a perfect side dish with your quick and easy taco night, but these black beans are so good as well.
My family loves black beans to add to taco meat for tacos or part of a filling for quesadillas. They are a great way to bulk up a meal and make your meat go further. They don’t only need to be a side dish, especially when they are seasoned to perfection and anything but boring!
Crock pot black beans are great because they make a huge batch. You can bring to a potluck, add them to meals all week, or even freeze some for later. So many great ways to use them.
There are lots of questions when it comes to cooking dried beans, so let’s get started with some basics.
Do you wash beans before cooking
Yes, I always wash dried beans before cooking. You want to pick out the cracked or broken beans. These will not cook up well, so you may as well get rid of them at the beginning. This goes for cooking the traditional way as well as in the crock pot.
Do you have to Soak Beans Before Cooking
No, if you are using a crock pot there is no soaking involved. You cook them for about 6 hours in lots of liquid, so they will get nice and soft this way. If you are cooking them the traditional way, then yes you do need to soak the beans. I like to just put them in a container of water the night before and let them sit in the fridge over night. Super easy, just a little bit of planning involved.
How Long Do You Slow Cooker Beans
It takes about 6 hours over low heat to get the perfect texture for your beans. If you want to speed that up, you can go for about 3-4 hours over high heat. If you want to mash your beans, you might want to go between 6-7 hours, so they are even softer.
How Many Cups Does One Pound of Dried Beans Equal
One package of dried beans is 1 pound, which is about 2 cups of dried beans. After they are cooked you will end up with about 5 cups of cooked beans.
When do you Salt Beans
I like to salt at the end of cooking. I add the rest of the seasons and let them cook with the beans, but salt right before serving. This way the salt doesn’t break down the beans too much or react with cooking process.
Slow cooker black beans are a staple in our house. They are great to make on the weekend and then have all week long to add to dinners and lunches. They are super healthy and good for you, so you don’t have to worry about getting veggies into your family.
These black beans are perfect for your Mexican night or even with just about anything else you are making. So easy to make, just 5 minutes to get them started and then the crock pot does all the work! Can’t get much better than that!
What to Serve Slow Cooker Beans With
- Flank Steak Tacos – taco night is the best night
- Sour Cream Enchiladas – so creamy and perfect for Mexican night
- Baked Southwest Chicken – just 5 ingredients and so easy
- Creamy Salsa Chicken – ready in just 15 minutes!
- Fiesta Lime Chicken – copycat from Applebee’s
- Instant Pot Chicken Tacos – the best and easiest taco meat!
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 Tbls olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 jalapeno, seeded and minced
- 1 pound dried black beans
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 3 cups water
- 1 Tbls ground cumin
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 2 tsp salt
- In a skillet heat oil over medium high heat. Add onions and jalapeno and saute for 4-5 minutes until soft. Add garlic and cook for 1 minute.
- In the insert of your crock pot add all of the ingredients together, expect the salt. Mix until everything is combined.
- Cover and set to low heat for 6-7 hours or high for 3-4 hours.
- After the beans have cooked and are soft, strain some of the liquid and discard the bay leaf. Season with salt and serve.
Amount Per ServingCalories 224Total Fat 3gSaturated Fat 0gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 2gCholesterol 2mgSodium 955mgCarbohydrates 38gFiber 9gSugar 2gProtein 13g