Flank Steak Tacos – Juicy flank steak marinated in lime juice, garlic, cilantro and more. Served in tortillas with your favorite toppings for taco night!
I kind of love taco night. Pretty much any Mexican food is going to be a hit at my house. It can be something easy like Creamy Salsa Chicken or it can be just your basic ground beef tacos. I am not picky, I just love Mexican flavors in just about any form.
Southwest Baked Chicken is one of the more popular recipes on my site because it is so fast and easy to make, because everyone loves taco flavors and melty cheese! So you know these flank steak tacos are going to be a big hit.
Let’s start with some of the basics.
What is Flank Steak?
Flank steak is a cut of beef that is taken from the lower chest/stomach muscle area of the cow. It is a very lean cut of meat that is very flavorful.
How to Cook Flank Steak?
It is a very long and thin cut of meat, and it is best grilled or cooked in a skillet. It cooks quickly, so it is best to cook over a high heat for just a few minutes per side. It works really well with a marinade to give it lots of flavor. You can give it a Mexican flare, a smoky twist or even just use a bunch of fresh herbs to make it bright and fresh. You want to let flank steak rest for about 5 minutes before you slice it. This ensures that it stays nice and juicy when you cut into it.
How to Cut Flank Steak
You want to be sure to cut across the grain, so your meat is tender and not tough. It is best to cut at a 45 degree angle. This exposes more of the meat and doesn’t stack the fibers on top of each other. This is what makes flank steak so tender and great for tacos.
Flank Steak vs Skirt Steak
I have made Skirt Steak Tacos before and they are delicious, but the meats are different. Skirt Steak has a more intense beef flavor and contains more tough muscle than flank steak. So you do not want to cook it past medium or it gets tough and chewy. If you have had Fajitas before, they were probably made with skirt steak.
What You’ll Need
Be sure to scroll down to the recipe card to get the measurements and full instructions!
- Flank Steak
- Olive Oil
- Lime Juice
- Chili Powder
- Salt & Pepper
If you like traditional American style tacos, this Taco Rice is a super fun twist for an easy dinner.
How To Make Flank Steak Tacos
- Make Marinade. In a large resealable plastic bag add all of the ingredients for the marinade. Mix them together and then add the flank steak. Seal and squish around until the steak is well coated. Place in fridge for 1-8 hours.
- Grill. Heat grill over high heat. Add steak, discarding the marinade and grill for about 4 minutes each side for medium rare. You can also do this in a large skillet over high heat.
- Slice and Serve. Let steak rest for 5 minutes and then slice on a 45 degree angle against the grain. Serve in warm tortillas with your favorite toppings.
Serving Flank Steak Tacos
These flank steak tacos are topped like my favorite carna asada tacos with just onions and fresh cilantro. And you have to have guacamole, because that is always a must with Mexican food. My family likes cheese, tomatoes, and even a little Mexican coleslaw
The steak grills up in just about 10 minutes, so it makes for a great weeknight meal. You can start the marinating in the morning and then just grill when you get home from work.
What Goes With Steak Tacos
More Mexican Recipes to Try
- Dorito Taco Salad
- Ground Beef Enchiladas
- Taco Stuffed Peppers
- Refried Bean Dip
- White Queso Dip
- Instant Pot Chicken Tacos
- Chicken Tostadas
- Cafe Rio Sweet Pork
- 1.5 pounds flank steak
- Corn or flour tortillas
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 3 Tablespoons lime juice
- 1/2 cup cilantro, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- In a large resealable plastic bag add all of the ingredients for the marinade. Mix them together and then add the flank steak. Seal and squish around until the steak is well coated.
- Place in fridge for 1-8 hours.
- Heat grill over high heat. Add steak, discarding the marinade and grill for about 4 minutes each side for medium rare.
- Let steak rest for 5 minutes and then slice on a 45 degree angle against the grain. Serve in warm tortillas with your favorite toppings.
Amount Per Serving Calories 604Total Fat 45gSaturated Fat 14gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 26gCholesterol 165mgSodium 375mgCarbohydrates 3gFiber 0gSugar 0gProtein 45g
Nutrition Disclaimer: All information presented on this site is intended for informational purposes only. I am not a certified nutritionist and any nutritional information shared on dinnersdishesanddesserts.com should only be used as a general guideline.
I created a fun group on Facebook, and I would love for you to join us! It’s a place where you can share YOUR favorite recipes, ask questions, and see what’s new at Dinners, Dishes and Desserts (so that you never miss a new recipe)!
Be sure to follow me on Instagram and tag #dinnersdishes so I can see all the wonderful DINNERS, DISHES, AND DESSERTS recipes YOU make!
Be sure to follow me on my social media, so you never miss a post!