Steak Street Tacos – tender grilled skirt steak wrapped in a charred corn tortilla and topped with a creamy cilantro lime sauce. Just like Southern California at home in no time!
We all know I am a huge fan of Mexican food, that is nothing new. I could probably live on Beef Enchiladas for the rest of my life. I would need some chips and Salsa go with it, but I would be one happy girl. Year ago when we visited Southern California we fell in love with their street tacos. We tried so many different hole in the wall places and they were all over the top amazing. So since then, I love making them at home and trying them where ever I can find them!
So let’s start with the basics…
What Are Street Tacos
Basically they are a more traditional Mexican taco that is served in a soft corn tortilla with grilled meat. Often times it can be chicken, beef or pork. They are often a little smaller as well. It is not the same as the traditional American taco in a crispy shell with seasoned ground beef.
I have had a variety of different fillings on these tacos, but I think steak just might be my favorite. Skirt Steak or Flank Steak work best. They are thin and cook quickly. Plus they are relatively inexpensive cuts of meat, so they are great for tacos.
How to Make Steak Street Tacos
- Start by making the sauce. This has a creamy cilantro sauce on top that is absolutely delicious. All of the ingredients go into a blender or food processor and then you just blend until smooth. Store in the fridge until you are ready to use.
- Grill the meat. While the grill is preheating drizzle a little oil over the meat and sprinkle the spices over the meat. Gently massage into the steak so the seasonings are evenly coating the meat. Then grill for 4-5 minutes per side. Let the steak rest for 5 minutes before slicing.
- To heat the tortillas place them on the grill and lightly char them while the steak is resting.
- To slice the steak be sure to cut against the grain to make sure you get the most tender piece of meat.
- Assemble your tacos. Fill tortillas with sliced steak, chopped onions, shredded cabbage, avocado and the cilantro sauce.
These steak tacos come together in no time. Skirt steak is hard to mess up. It is super tender and is super easy to grill. Meanwhile, all you have to do is chop some cabbage (you can take a shortcut and use store-bought coleslaw mix if you want), dice some avocado and prepare the sauce. The blender does all the work for the sauce, so it is done in minutes. Dinner is ready in less than 30 minutes, the whole family will love it, and because you used the grill there is hardly any clean up!
What to Serve with Steak Tacos
More Great Mexican Recipes To Try
- Sour Cream Enchiladas
- Homemade Corn Tortillas
- Mexican Rice Skillet
- Flank Steak Tacos
- Chicken Fajitas
- Instant Pot Pork Tacos
- Chicken Tostadas
- 1 pound skirt steak (or flank steak)
- 1 Tbls olive oil
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
- ½ tsp chili powder
- ½ cup onion, finely chopped
- 1 cup red cabbage, shredded
- 1 cup cabbage, shredded
- 1 avocado, diced
- 8 corn tortillas
Cilantro Lime Sauce
- 1 cup cilantro
- 2 limes, juiced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- ¼ cup white wine vinegar
- 2 tsp sugar
- ½ jalapeno, seeds removed
- ¼ cup milk
- ½ cup sour cream
- Add all of the ingredients for the Cilantro Lime Sauce into a blender. Blend until well combined. Store in the fridge until ready to use.
- Preheat grill to medium-high heat.
- Drizzle steak with olive oil. Sprinkle with the seasonings (cumin, garlic powder, onion powder, salt, pepper, chili powder), and rub into the meat.
- Grill for 4-5 minutes per side.
- During the last few minutes, place the tortillas on the grill to lightly char them. Remove cooked steak from the
grill and let rest for 5 minutes before slicing. Thinly slice against the grain.
- To serve, top each tortilla with steak, cabbage, onion, and avocado. Drizzle with cilantro lime sauce.
Amount Per ServingCalories 615Total Fat 35gSaturated Fat 12gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 20gCholesterol 86mgSodium 747mgCarbohydrates 44gFiber 10gSugar 8gProtein 35g
Nutrition Disclaimer: All information presented on this site is intended for informational purposes only. I am not a certified nutritionist and any nutritional information shared on dinnersdishesanddesserts.com should only be used as a general guideline.
I created a fun group on Facebook, and I would love for you to join us! It’s a place where you can share YOUR favorite recipes, ask questions, and see what’s new at Dinners, Dishes and Desserts (so that you never miss a new recipe)! If you’d like to check it out, you can request to join HERE.
Be sure to follow me on Instagram and tag #dinnersdishes so I can see all the wonderful DINNERS, DISHES, AND DESSERTS recipes YOU make!
Connect with Dinners, Dishes, and Desserts!
Be sure to follow me on my social media, so you never miss a post!