Baja Shrimp Tacos – a fun twist on taco night! Slightly spice shrimp with a chipotle lime sauce makes for a super quick and easy dinner!
If I had to pick a favorite food I think it would be Mexican food. I could eat chips and Salsa or tacos or enchiladas or really any of it every day of the week. There is just something about the spices that win me over every time! And these shrimp tacos have a chipotle lime sauce over them that is so good you will want to make extra to dip your chips in.
I originally started making these shrimp tacos after seeing them on the Red Robin menu. Their description for their Baja Shrimp Tacos said “Ancho-seasoned sauteed shrimp wrapped into three flour tortillas. Topped with fresh avocado slices, shredded cabbage, diced tomato, and drizzled with a chipotle lime sauce.” It sounded so good, I took a picture of the menu and started coming up with a version at home.
The shrimp are seasoned with an ancho chili powder and a few other spices and then sauteed until they are done. Shrimp cooks in just a couple minutes, so it is great for busy weeknights.
How to Make Baja Shrimp Tacos
- The spices and olive oil are mixed with the shrimp and then you let it sit for 20 minutes. This just helps get the seasoning into the shrimp and give them more flavor. If you are in a hurry, you can skip this and they will still be delicious.
- While the shrimp marinate mix together the sour cream, mayo, and other sauce ingredients. They just get stirred together and then stored in the fridge until ready to use.
- Next make the coleslaw for the tacos. The mayo, lime juice and cilantro are mixed together and then tossed with coleslaw mix. Once it is well blended it is placed in the fridge until it is time to eat.
- Once the shrimp are ready, you just saute them in a large skillet for a few minutes on each side until they are cooked through.
- Now you can assemble your tacos! Top flour tortillas with some of the slaw, the shrimp, sliced avocados and then drizzle on the sauce!
What to Serve with Shrimp Tacos
This Baja Shrimp Taco Recipe is a super quick and easy dinner that the whole family will love! You can definitely make the Coleslaw and the Chipotle Sauce ahead of time. So when it is time for dinner all you have to do is season and cook the shrimp. Shrimp is very low in calories, so it can even be a dinner you feel good about eating!
More Mexican Recipes
- Fish Tacos
- Sour Cream Enchiladas
- Easy Refried Bean Dip
- Cafe Rio Chicken
- Taco Stuffed Peppers
- Southwest Baked Chicken
- 1 pound shrimp, peeled, deveined and tail removed
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp ancho chili powder
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
Chipotle Lime Sauce
- 1/4 cup mayo, (I used low fat)
- 1/4 cup sour cream, (I used fat free)
- 1 whole chipotle in adobo pepper, chopped
- 1 tsp adobo sauce
- 1 Tbsp fresh lime juice
- 2 cups coleslaw mix
- 2 Tbls mayo
- 1 lime, juiced
- 2 tsp chopped cilantro
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 small tomato, diced
- 1 avocado, sliced
- cabbage, sliced
- 8 small flour tortillas
- In a large plastic bag combine garlic powder, chili powder, black pepper, cayenne pepper, shrimp, and 1 tsp olive oil. Mix thoroughly, and marinate for 20 minutes.
- For the sauce combine mayo, sour cream, chipotle pepper, adobo sauce, and lime juice. Mix well, set aside until ready to serve. You will probably have leftovers of this sauce.
- For the coleslaw mix together mayo, lime juice, salt, and cilantro until well blended. Add coleslaw mix and toss until well coated. Set in fridge until ready to use.
- In a large skillet over medium high heat, heat 1 tsp of olive oil. Saute shrimp until cooked through. About 5 minutes total.
- To serve: Fill a tortilla with cabbage, shrimp, tomatoes, avocados, and top with chipotle sauce.
Amount Per ServingCalories 265Saturated Fat 3gCholesterol 299mgSodium 1204mgCarbohydrates 1gProtein 23g
I created a fun group on Facebook, and I would love for you to join us! It’s a place where you can share YOUR favorite recipes, ask questions, and see what’s new at Dinners, Dishes and Desserts (so that you never miss a new recipe)! If you’d like to check it out, you can request to join HERE.
Be sure to follow me on Instagram and tag #dinnersdishes so I can see all the wonderful DINNERS, DISHES, AND DESSERTS recipes YOU make!
Connect with Dinners, Dishes, and Desserts!
Be sure to follow me on my social media, so you never miss a post!