Cafe Rio Chicken – easy and delicious shredded chicken that tastes just like Cafe Rio. Great for salads, burritos, tacos, quesadillas and more!
We all know that I love Cafe Rio. It is a quick service Mexican restaurant that is one of my favorite spots to have lunch. I almost always get their taco salad with chicken, so I thought it was about time I recreated it at home! They are known for their Sweet Pork which is also super tender and juicy. So if you want to mix up Mexican night at home there are lots of options!
This is such a simple recipe to make and it is full of so much flavor. I made it in the Instant Pot, but the recipe is the same in the crock pot it will just take longer. The results are slightly tangy with that Mexican flare you expect. It is not spicy at all, so if you like things mild this is definitely for you!
Cafe Rio Chicken Ingredients
- Italian Dressing
- Ranch Dressing Mix
- Chili Powder
- Ground Cumin
Just 5 ingredients total and you get juicy shredded chicken you can use in a bunch of different recipes!
How to Make Cafe Rio Chicken
- Mix all of the ingredients for the sauce together and pour over chicken.
- If using the Instant Pot cook under high pressure for 12-17 minutes depending on if you are using fresh or frozen chicken.
- If you are using a slow cooker cook on low for 4-6 hours until the chicken is tender and can be shredded.
You can easily make a double batch of this chicken and freeze some for later. It keeps very well in the freezer for up to 3 months. You can either freeze an entire batch in a freezer safe bag or portion out individual sized portions, so you can take out just enough to make lunch.
At Cafe Rio if you get the taco salad, my personal favorite the base is a large homemade flour tortilla that has a little cheese melted on it. Then you get rice, beans, chicken, and then top with lettuce, your favorite salsa, cheese, tortilla strips and then top with the famous Cafe Rio Dressing.
Or you can use it in a burrito, use it as filling for a quesadilla, or make a Cafe Rio Tostada or even use it in these Sour Cream Enchiladas. The possiblities are endless. This is such a versatile chicken recipe your family is going to love it!
More Mexican Recipes To Try
- Taco Stuffed Peppers
- White Queso Dip
- Instant Pot Chicken Tacos
- Easy Chicken Fajitas
- Shrimp & Avocado Tostadas
- Ground Beef Enchiladas
- Southwest Baked Chicken
- Steak Street Tacos
- 2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 3/4 cup Italian dressing
- 3 cloves garlic, , minced
- 1/2 Tbls chili powder
- 1/2 Tbls ground cumin
- 3 Tbsp Ranch Dressing Mix
- 1/2 cup water
- Mix together the Italian dressing, garlic, chili powder, cumin, ranch dressing mix and water.
- Place chicken in the Instant pot and pour the sauce over.
- Cook under high pressure for 12 minutes if using fresh chicken, 17 if using frozen chicken.
- Quick release the pressure and use forks to shred the chicken,
- Add back to the pot and mix with the sauce.
You can use a slow cooker just cook on low for 4-6 hours until the chicken is tender.
Amount Per ServingCalories 254Total Fat 9gSaturated Fat 2gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 6gCholesterol 97mgSodium 622mgCarbohydrates 5gFiber 0gSugar 3gProtein 36g
Nutrition Disclaimer: All information presented on this site is intended for informational purposes only. I am not a certified nutritionist and any nutritional information shared on dinnersdishesanddesserts.com should only be used as a general guideline.
I created a fun group on Facebook, and I would love for you to join us! It’s a place where you can share YOUR favorite recipes, ask questions, and see what’s new at Dinners, Dishes and Desserts (so that you never miss a new recipe)! If you’d like to check it out, you can request to join HERE.
Be sure to follow me on Instagram and tag #dinnersdishes so I can see all the wonderful DINNERS, DISHES, AND DESSERTS recipes YOU make!
Connect with Dinners, Dishes, and Desserts!
Be sure to follow me on my social media, so you never miss a post!