Shrimp & Avocado Tostadas – a fun and easy way to get Mexican food on weeknights, in minutes! Crispy tostadas topped with guacamole, spiced shrimp, and your favorite salsa.
Any other avocado fans out there? I mean that thick layer of guacamole on a crispy corn tortilla is just delicious. I got the idea after making these Chicken Tostadas, because they are just such a big hit. Shrimp is always a big hit with my family, so I figured why not give it a try.
Turns out shrimp and avocado go amazingly well together! Usually I am more of a Crispy Baked Shrimp kind of person, but these sauteed shrimp with the spices are delicious!
Mexican food is kind of a staple in our house. It is well known at my house that I could pretty much live on Mexican food and be a happy person. So I am always looking at new ways to mix it up. These Shrimp & Avocado Tostadas was my latest way to get my all the Mexican flavor I love, and not make the rest of my family bored.
What You’ll Need
- Lime Juice
- Garlic Powder
- Cayenne Pepper
- Olive Oil
- Pico de Gallo
- Tostada Shells
You can use store bought guacamole or make my favorite Homemade Guacamole for this recipe.
What is a Tostada
Tostada is a Spanish worth that literally means “toasted” It usually refers to a flat or bowl shaped fried or toasted tortilla. You can then top it any way you like. The toppings are usually similar to what you would find for tacos. These shrimp tostadas are definitely not traditional or something you would find in Mexico, but that doesn’t mean they aren’t delicious.
You can buy tostada shells near the taco shells in almost any grocery store. Just heat them like you would taco shells, so they are hot and crunchy. Shrimp cooks up so quickly, these shrimp & avocado tostadas can be ready in just a few minutes. Plus, this is Mexican food you can feel good about eating! Shrimp is good for you, and you are topping it with veggies, talk about a win!
How to make Shrimp Tostadas
- Heat the tostada shells in the oven for about 5-7 minutes until they are hot and crispy. You will need to flip them part way through.
- Next you season the shrimp. Toss together the shrimp with all the spices and then you heat on the stove. If you are using raw shrimp you will need to cook them for probably 5-10 minute depending on the size to fully cook them. If you are using precooked shrimp you just need to heat them for a couple minutes to warm them through.
- Now you assemble. For these I spread a layer of guacamole on the bottom then top with shrimp and salsa or pico de gallo. You could start with a layer of refried beans and top with cojita cheese as well if you wanted. These are really easy to customize and make them what you want!
What Goes With Tostadas
More Easy Mexican Recipes
- Sour Cream Enchiladas
- Potato Tacos
- Baked Chicken Taquitos
- Taco Stuffed Peppers
- Mexican Pizza
- Instant Pot Chicken Tacos
- Easy Chicken Fajitas
Shrimp & Avocado Tostadas
Shrimp & Avocado Tostadas - a fun and easy way to get Mexican food on weeknights, in minutes! Crispy tostadas topped with guacamole, spiced shrimp, and your favorite salsa.
- 1 1/2 pounds peeled and deveined shrimp
- 1 lime, juiced
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- Salsa or Pico de Gallo
- Tostada shells
- Preheat oven to 350º F. Spread tostada shells onto a baking sheet. Place in oven, and cook for 5 minutes, flipping the shells half way through.
- In a bowl, toss shrimp together with lime juice, garlic powder, cayenne, paprika and cumin.
- In a large skillet heat olive oil over medium high heat. Add shrimp, and cook for 2-3 minutes, flip and cook for 2 more minutes, or until fully cooked. *Cook time will vary depending on the size of the shrimp.
- Remove from the pan.
- To assemble tostadas, spread guacamole over the tostada shell. Top with a few cooked shrimp and your favorite salsa.
Recipe adapted from Cooking Light http://www.cookinglight.com/food/quick-healthy/no-cook-recipes/healthy-chicken-guacamole-tostadas-recipes
Amount Per Serving Calories 204Total Fat 7gSaturated Fat 1gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 5gCholesterol 239mgSodium 1248mgCarbohydrates 7gFiber 1gSugar 1gProtein 27g
Nutrition Disclaimer: All information presented on this site is intended for informational purposes only. I am not a certified nutritionist and any nutritional information shared on dinnersdishesanddesserts.com should only be used as a general guideline.
I created a fun group on Facebook, and I would love for you to join us! It’s a place where you can share YOUR favorite recipes, ask questions, and see what’s new at Dinners, Dishes and Desserts (so that you never miss a new recipe)! If you’d like to check it out, you can request to join HERE.
Be sure to follow me on Instagram and tag #dinnersdishes so I can see all the wonderful DINNERS, DISHES, AND DESSERTS recipes YOU make!
Connect with Dinners, Dishes, and Desserts!
Be sure to follow me on my social media, so you never miss a post!
Facebook | Twitter | Pinterest | Instagram
- Beef Stroganoff - March 24, 2023
- Homemade Ravioli - March 22, 2023
- Chocolate Pizza - March 20, 2023
Signup for all the new recipes to be sent to your inbox on Saturday morning!
Justine | Cooking and Beer says
You know Erin, I don’t live too far from you. If you ever need a taste tester, I’m here….and bring these tostadas while you are at it!
Becky Hardin | The Cookie Rookie says
Oh that looks so delicious.
Kimberly @ The Daring Gourmet says
Beautiful, my husband especially would love these!
Andi @ The Weary Chef says
I love everything about these tostadas! My kind of dinner! YUM!!
Katerina @ Diethood says
I am always ready for tacos/tostadas/burritos for dinner at least thrice a week!! These look super good!
P.S. GO TYLER!!! Throwing you virtual high-fives!
Cyndi - My Kitchen Craze says
Is it bad that I could 3-4 of those and want more. Love how easy and yummy these look. Perfect for a busy night!
Jessica - The Novice Chef says
Love Tostadas – but I have never thought to try them with shrimp!
These look so good, my husband would be all over them!
Such a mouth watering dish. Today I will make Shrimp Tostadas with your recipe at home for my husband. Thanks for the sharing recipe.
Chrissie Baker says
WOW!!! your dish look is very delicious and colorful…!
Sara Welch says
Oooooh these look so good! Perfect for Cinco de Mayo!
Beth Pierce says
I love Mexican food and these tostadas look restaurant worthy, indeed! Can’t wait to give these a try!
Melanie Bauer says
Looks fantastic! Looking forward to trying this, so easy to make and crazy delicious!
Katerina @ diethood .com says
OH my, this looks incredibly delicious!!
Erin these are fantastic!!! So fun and full of flavor!
Tostadas are such a great choice for an easy dinner. So quick and flavorful!
So easy and delicious! Love the idea of adding shrimp on top!
This is in our future!So easy and delicious!
Allyson Zea says
My husband absolutely loves these! He would eat them for every meal if you could!
Sharing with someone who I know would just love this!
These were so easy to make and my family absolutely loved these. Will make them again very soon!
These tostadas are the perfect quick, delicious dinner! The whole family loved them.
The shrimp is perfectly seasoned -chefs kiss-. A new family favorite.
Who can resist these tostadas! They look amazing!
My dad would love this for sure!