Shrimp & Avocado Tostadas – a fun and easy way to get Mexican food on weeknights, in minutes! Crispy tostadas topped with guacamole, spiced shrimp, and your favorite salsa.
Any other avocado fans out there? I mean that thick layer of guacamole on a crispy corn tortilla is just delicious. I got the idea after making these Chicken Tostadas, because they are just such a big hit. Shrimp is always a big hit with my family, so I figured why not give it a try.
Turns out shrimp and avocado go amazingly well together! Usually I am more of a Crispy Baked Shrimp kind of person, but these sauteed shrimp with the spices are delicious!
Mexican food is kind of a staple in our house. It is well known at my house that I could pretty much live on Mexican food and be a happy person. So I am always looking at new ways to mix it up. These Shrimp & Avocado Tostadas was my latest way to get my all the Mexican flavor I love, and not make the rest of my family bored.
Anytime I involve guacamole my husband is happy, so I used that as the base for these shrimp tostadas. Such a quick and easy weeknight dinner! Top with salsa or make your own pico and everyone will love it. You could even use precooked shrimp that you just tossed with spices and warmed to make this super fast!
What is a Tostada
Tostada is a Spanish worth that literally means “toasted” It usually refers to a flat or bowl shaped fried or toasted tortilla. You can then top it any way you like. The toppings are usually similar to what you would find for tacos. These shrimp tostadas are definitely not traditional or something you would find in Mexico, but that doesn’t mean they aren’t delicious.
You can buy tostada shells near the taco shells in almost any grocery store. Just heat them like you would taco shells, so they are hot and crunchy. Shrimp cooks up so quickly, these shrimp & avocado tostadas can be ready in just a few minutes. Plus, this is Mexican food you can feel good about eating! Shrimp is good for you, and you are topping it with veggies, talk about a win!
How to make Shrimp Tostadas
- Heat the tostada shells in the oven for about 5-7 minutes until they are hot and crispy. You will need to flip them part way through.
- Next you season the shrimp. Toss together the shrimp with all the spices and then you heat on the stove. If you are using raw shrimp you will need to cook them for probably 5-10 minute depending on the size to fully cook them. If you are using precooked shrimp you just need to heat them for a couple minutes to warm them through.
- Now you assemble. For these I spread a layer of guacamole on the bottom then top with shrimp and salsa or pico de gallo. You could start with a layer of refried beans and top with cojita cheese as well if you wanted. These are really easy to customize and make them what you want!
I created a fun group on Facebook, and I would love for you to join us! It’s a place where you can share YOUR favorite recipes, ask questions, and see what’s new at Dinners, Dishes and Desserts (so that you never miss a new recipe)! If you’d like to check it out, you can request to join HERE.
Be sure to follow me on Instagram and tag #dinnersdishes so I can see all the wonderful DINNERS, DISHES, AND DESSERTS recipes YOU make!
Connect with Dinners, Dishes, and Desserts!
Be sure to follow me on my social media, so you never miss a post!
- 1 1/2 pounds peeled and deviened shrimp
- 1 lime, , juiced
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/2 tsp tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1 Tbls olive oil
- Salsa or Pico de Gallo
- Tostada shells
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spread tostada shells onto a baking sheet. Place in oven, and cook for 5 minutes, flipping the shells half way through.
- In a bowl, toss shrimp together with lime juice, garlic powder, cayenne, paprika and cumin.
- In a large skillet heat olive oil over medium high heat. Add shrimp, and cook for 2-3 minutes, flip and cook for 2 more minutes, or until fully cooked. *Cook time will vary depending on the size of the shrimp.
- Remove from the pan.
- To assemble tostadas, spread guacamole over the tostada shell. Top with a few cooked shrimp and your favorite salsa.
Recipe adapted from Cooking Light http://www.cookinglight.com/food/quick-healthy/no-cook-recipes/healthy-chicken-guacamole-tostadas-recipes