Mexican Pizza – a homemade version of the famous Taco Bell Mexican Pizza, only better! Super easy and a fun dinner the whole family will love.
I used to love Taco Bell. I am pretty sure it was because you could get so much food for so little money, but their crunchy tacos were my favorite! Then one day I discovered the Mexican pizza and I was hooked!
We all know I love Mexican food in any form. I mean, I could have Sour Cream Enchiladas every day and be one happy girl. But sometimes you have to mix it up a bit. And making restaurant favorites at home, is always a good idea!
This Taco Bell Mexican Pizza recipe is really simple to make, you just need few ingredients and a few minutes and you are done. The nice thing about this is you can customize it however you want. If you don’t like beans, don’t add them. If you really like black olives, add them. It is up to you!
I stuck with the basic version you can find at Taco Bell that has refried beans, taco meat, and a few diced tomatoes on top. I did add a couple of green onions for color, but you could use cilantro instead or just leave it plain. And if you have any Homemade Refried Beans, use those!
How to Make Mexican Pizza
- The first step is to make the taco meat. You can use ground beef or ground turkey and whatever taco seasoning you like. Just make it like you would for taco night.
- Next you want to get the tortillas nice and crispy. If you have a griddle or large skillet that fits more than one, break it out for this. Add a little bit of oil to your pan and heat the tortillas over a medium high heat. You want to flip them frequently so they don’t burn. But cook for 4-5 minutes until they are crispy.
- Now you start assembling. Spread a layer of refried beans along the bottom of the tortilla. Top with a layer of taco meat.
- Once you have your filling, add the second tortilla and top with enchilada sauce. You don’t want too much, or it will get soggy.
- Add a few diced tomatoes and an even layer of cheese over the sauce.
- Now you bake until the cheese is melted, the tortillas are crispy and everything is hot!
- I like to let them sit for a minute before I slice them so it doesn’t make a huge mess. Serve with salsa, sour cream, guacamole, or just as is!
Plus like a lot of copycat recipes, this is so much better than the original! You know what the ingredients are and get to use your favorites!
I created a fun group on Facebook, and I would love for you to join us! It’s a place where you can share YOUR favorite recipes, ask questions, and see what’s new at Dinners, Dishes and Desserts (so that you never miss a new recipe)! If you’d like to check it out, you can request to join HERE.
Be sure to follow me on Instagram and tag #dinnersdishes so I can see all the wonderful DINNERS, DISHES, AND DESSERTS recipes YOU make!
Connect with Dinners, Dishes, and Desserts!
Be sure to follow me on my social media, so you never miss a post!
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 packet taco seasoning
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 can (15 oz) refried beans
- 1 can (10 oz) enchilada sauce
- 1/4 cup diced tomatoes
- 1 1/2 cup shredded Colby Jack cheese
- 8 flour tortillas, taco size
- 1 Tbls vegetable oil
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- In a large skillet brown ground beef, breaking up into small pieces. Once cooked, add taco seasoning and water. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer until most of the liquid is absorbed.
- In a large skillet or griddle pour half of the oil into the pan. Heat over medium high heat. Add tortillas and cook for 4-5 minutes, flipping frequently, until crisp. Repeat with remaining tortillas and oil.
- Spread about 1/4 cup of beans evenly over the bottom of each tortilla. Top with taco meat.
- Place another tortilla over the top of the meat. Spread about 2 Tbls of enchilada sauce evenly over the tortilla. Divide tomatoes evenly over the top of the tortillas.
- Sprinkle the cheese in an even layer over the top.
- Place each pizza on a baking sheet and bake for 8-10 minutes until the cheese is melted and everything is hot.
- Slice and serve.
You can use less or more of all the ingredients. Store any leftovers covered in the fridge.
Amount Per ServingCalories 655 Total Fat 32g Saturated Fat 12g Trans Fat 1g Unsaturated Fat 15g Cholesterol 100mg Sodium 1251mg Carbohydrates 54g Fiber 6g Sugar 6g Protein 37g