Mexican White Queso Dip – Similar to the white cheese sauce served at Mexican restaurants. It is creamy, has just a little spice to it and is the perfect addition to any party!
We all know that I love Mexican food. If you have been here before, I am sure you have heard me talk about how I could eat chips and salsa every day of the week! A girls night with margaritas is pretty much the perfect night out in my opinion. So it should come as absolutely no surprise that I am addicted to this Mexican Queso Dip!
You know the white cheese sauce they give you at some restaurants? This is kind of like that only better! It has a few spices to give it so much flavor and is smooth, creamy, and absolutely perfect.
What is Queso
It is a Mexican inspired appetizer that is thick and creamy melted cheese with a few other ingredients. It is not just melted cheese, you have milk to thin it out and other spices to give it that Mexican flavor. It is often served at Mexican restaurants and is so easy to make at home! You can dip just about anything in it. Tortilla chips all the way to veggies is good when coated in cheese.
What Cheese is in White Queso
White American cheese is traditionally what is used. You can usually find this at the deli counter at most grocery stores. They will either serve it to you in slices for sandwiches or you can ask for a big chunk of it. I like to ask for the big chunk because I like to cut it into cubes so it melts easily in the dip.
How to Make White Queso Dip
- Start by melting butter in a large skillet. You will then saute the jalapeno until it is nice and tender. If you like it mild remove all the seeds and the membrane from the pepper. If you like it spicy, leave some of the seeds in there.
- Next you pour in the milk and cornstarch and mix until it is hot and bubbly. This will thin out the cheese and give it the nice creamy texture you are looking for.
- Add in all that cubed cheese. Use a spatula to gently stir until the cheese is completely melted. This takes a little bit, because you want to make sure you do not burn or scorch the cheese. So be patient and use a medium heat.
- Finally add in the spices. Mix them until they well incorporated and then it is time to dig in!
- To reheat any leftovers you can use a microwave and heat for 45 seconds at a time until it is hot and melted. Or you can heat in a skillet, stirring until everything is smooth and creamy again.
Does Queso Stay Smooth and Creamy as it Cools?
This is made with real cheese, not a processed cheese, so it does tend to solidify as it cools. That is no problem though! You can leave it over low heat on the stove or pour into a crock pot to keep it warm. You will want to stir it every once in awhile, and then it will remain smooth and creamy just like you want! People will devour it so fast, you won’t have to watch it for long.
Tips for Queso Dip
- I like to use a large skillet when I am making this dip. It gives the cheese more room to spread out and melt, so you don’t get any stuck to the bottom or burnt.
- If you want to adjust the spice level you can use more or less jalapeno as well as more or less cayenne. I find this recipe to have just a hint of spice, but definitely not spicy. If you like things on the mild to medium side this is perfect.
- To make sure the dip stays nice and creamy during a party pour it into a small crock pot and leave on warm or low heat. You will want to stir it every once in awhile, but this ensures the cheese doesn’t harden and it stays the nice smooth dip you started with.
- This dip makes a great topping for nachos. Pile up a plate of tortilla chips and pour on some of this cheese dip. Then you can top with your favorite toppings and dive right in. It also is great on burritos, tacos, a dip for quesadillas and more. You are going to be making up new ways to enjoy this, just so you can make it more often.
- I like to garnish with a little bit of chopped cilantro and diced tomatoes. This is optional, but the little bit of freshness gives it so much great flavor.
More Mexican Recipes To Try
- Sour Cream Enchiladas
- Taco Stuffed Peppers
- Refried Bean Dip
- Flank Steak Tacos
- Chicken Tostadas
- Dorito Taco Casserole
- Chicken Enchilada Casserole
- Healthy Mexican Rice
- Mexican Skillet Potatoes
- 1 pound white American cheese, cut into cubes
- 1 Tbps butter
- 1 jalapeno, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 cup milk
- 1 Tbsp cornstarch
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- Melt the butter in a skillet over medium high heat. Then you add in the jalapeno and sauté for a couple minutes until it is tender.
- Pour in the milk and add the cornstarch. Mix until it is bubbling and hot.
- Reduce heat to medium and add in your cheese and stir until it is melty and nice and smooth.
- Mix in all the seasonings. Stir until well blended and serve with tortilla chips.
To keep it warm and smooth you can serve in a crock pot over warm or low heat and stir occasionally. This will keep it from hardening during a party.
Amount Per ServingCalories 282Total Fat 20gSaturated Fat 12gTrans Fat 1gUnsaturated Fat 6gCholesterol 67mgSodium 1127mgCarbohydrates 10gFiber 0gSugar 5gProtein 15g
Nutrition Disclaimer: All information presented on this site is intended for informational purposes only. I am not a certified nutritionist and any nutritional information shared on dinnersdishesanddesserts.com should only be used as a general guideline.
I created a fun group on Facebook, and I would love for you to join us! It’s a place where you can share YOUR favorite recipes, ask questions, and see what’s new at Dinners, Dishes and Desserts (so that you never miss a new recipe)! If you’d like to check it out, you can request to join HERE.
Be sure to follow me on Instagram and tag #dinnersdishes so I can see all the wonderful DINNERS, DISHES, AND DESSERTS recipes YOU make!
Connect with Dinners, Dishes, and Desserts!
Be sure to follow me on my social media, so you never miss a post!